Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-12-2011 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber

December Challenge - Chirone

I see some people put the robots title into their thread name and others haven't....

anyway...

I read the challenge as 'funny little robot' rather than robot so I dreamt up of something and now I want to make it. I've a whole lot of more serious robots that I'd like to make but I'll stick with this. I think you'll all enjoy the final pose if I get up to it.

So this robot is (of course) a transformer. It's a transforming desk fan.

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 30-12-2011 at 01:57 AM.
# 2 08-12-2011 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber
Here's an update.

I haven't rigged it yet so I can switch between fan and robot modes, but that was because I wasn't overly certain on how the base would turn into the arms.

Originally I thought to split the based into arms and legs, but then I thought to make the entire base into long gorilla-like arms.

Attached Thumbnails

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 3 08-12-2011 , 05:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Lol nice. I have a desk fan right next to me everyday at work hopefully it is an autobot and not a decepticon user added image

- Jake
# 4 08-12-2011 , 05:46 PM
Administrator
Hey,

Nice to see you join the challenge. I was dreaming of the funny little robots as well, transforming desk fan sounds like an excellent concept to me user added image

# 5 08-12-2011 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
thanks guys!
I hope he's an autobot too. You should have seen my (unfinished) transforming alarm clock. It was pretty cool but I got stuck and stopped working on it for a while.

I realised that fans have the option to turn around so I stopped making the body so square and blocky. Also, I went to make the base wider, but that didn't work out very well when it came to turning it into arms, that's why you still see that the right side is so much wider than the left.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 10-12-2011 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
I'm wondering why I ever did the parent constraint approach in previous transforming models if i'm only concerned about two positions for modelling. Setting key frames seems to be enough

here's more progress. fingers are a pain the ass. the head is going to be annoying too because i don't know what it looks like yet...

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 10-12-2011 , 04:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Good Job, I love the transformer fan.

# 8 10-12-2011 , 02:18 PM
Nice idea! user added image Keep it up!

For some Maya tips, tutorials and personal insights, nice images etc, check out my blog
https://rencsenyidavid.com/blog
# 9 13-12-2011 , 08:09 PM
Agreed, cool idea! I'm interested already haha. Will you be doing an animation of it transforming for us? Well, at least after the comp is over?

One of the things that impresses me with the transformers is all the little details and parts while they transform. Are you planning on doing something similar or you just going to keep it simple?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 14-12-2011 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
thanks guys!

I thought I could get the entire model done in a day but I ran into a few difficulties as I didn't know how I was going to deal with the hands.

Perfecto: I'd like to animate it transforming. for the competition it might just be a real crude transformation (maybe just keyframe from start position to end position with just default stuff). I probably wont get time to get into lots of detail, but there will be something done for the joints and eyes.

Still not sure where to put the mouth... it will have a belly button though.

# 11 17-12-2011 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
little bit of work on the eye and it's mechanics

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 17-12-2011 , 05:09 AM
Acid44
Pretty original idea, certainly one to watch user added image

Always wondered this though, what are the dotted lines?

# 13 17-12-2011 , 11:53 AM

Pretty original idea, certainly one to watch user added image

Always wondered this though, what are the dotted lines?

The dotted lines are soft edges, solid lines are hard edges!
Looking great Chirone, cool idea!

Last edited by Dango77; 17-12-2011 at 12:01 PM.
# 14 18-12-2011 , 06:53 AM
Subscriber
Hey Chirone,

It's a great idea, looking forward to seeing how you get it to transform!user added image

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 15 19-12-2011 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
Acid: yup, Dango's got it. I always play this game with hard, soft and border edges looking different. Border edges are the most useful to colour differently since it's not always obvious (although i suppose in most cases it is) that it's a border edge.

Dango: thanks! still waiting for you to make an entry!

CGWolfgang: hey! Yeah I'm looking forward to how it transforms too
Nah I know how it transforms, the arms just float up with a chance of them not attaching user added image

I have a crease in my model and i dont know how to get it out. I know it's there because two edges are super close together but if i remove it then it looks funny somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails