Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 22-10-2011 , 04:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Stwert is right methinks...but once the render view is up Rick...go to Render>Render>???? and pick your camera from the drop down.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 77 22-10-2011 , 05:36 AM
stwert: yep kinda got that figured out. You can render with the camera set in the render globals but if you already have the render view open and your last render was from another camera it will override the settings in the render globals. So you just have to close the render view and start a fresh render.

Jay: Ah I figured out what you meant by use the surface shader. I took the shortcut and just assigned the MR AO texture to the model and it now automatically adds the surface shader but also links it to a lambert so you get AO + a lambert. It can be changed to surface shader in the attribute and then you only get the AO which you can composite.

Although I am still not getting any shadowing under the parts even of the ground plane is nearly touching the objects above it.

In fact I added an area light and turned on ray trace shadows and still got no shadows at all, so I am guessing in my wild flipping of MR switches I flipped something bad on. I somehow feel like you need to set 30 dials and knobs for every photon in the scene and no two scenes are the same. lol

I will get it dialed in soon though.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 78 22-10-2011 , 08:01 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Rick

Camera wise, just check in the render settings that you haven't got a different camera selected.

AO settings, attached mate......

ahh no mate do this: create a surface shader add an AO texture to the color channel. Then create a new render layer, assign the models to the layer, then under overides, assign existing material overide (in this case the surface shader) -render!

hope that helps

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 79 22-10-2011 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
Looking nice jay. I wonder what kind of finished outcome you have in mind presentation-wise.... Will you be looking to create a scene for it, or are you aiming to present the model on it's own?

# 80 22-10-2011 , 01:49 PM
What is the plane above the model?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 81 22-10-2011 , 01:52 PM
Hey Ben

Thanks.

Well I have already shot some footage for this with a friend of mine who is a film extra, as a pilot. So I'm going to be animating some stuff with live action comped in. It already story boarded. My pal has actual WWII flying outfits, mainly RAF but he bought over what the Americans used as well. I took some stills - alot of stills actually of him in the pilots outfit - all of which I will post in the resource lounge once Im done with it. I'll be doing a digital pilot too for medium and long shots. I just want to test myself and up my game a bit too - cant hurt having more skills.

Also I'll be doing the standard AO and wire turntables for a personal modelling reel too, thats also what I intended my Audrey Hepburn character for as well.....

hows that!!

cheers mate
Jay

# 82 22-10-2011 , 01:56 PM
Rick sorry we must have just missed each other there.

The plane above the model is what I was saying in your post. If a model has large flat areas that have no detail occlusion doesnt work because the rays just bounce off into nothing, causing extreme white outs. So by adding the plane the rays bounce back to the model.

If you think about it thats how AO works anyway with corners and the like, its because the rays are bouncing to and from each surface thats in close proximity causing the dark occluded areas....

cheers
Jay

# 83 22-10-2011 , 02:04 PM
And just to show you...I have removed the sky plane so you can see how lifeless the wings are now.......

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 84 22-10-2011 , 02:52 PM
ah yes that now makes perfect sense. thanks

# 85 22-10-2011 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber

Hey Ben

Thanks.

Well I have already shot some footage for this with a friend of mine who is a film extra, as a pilot. So I'm going to be animating some stuff with live action comped in. It already story boarded. My pal has actual WWII flying outfits, mainly RAF but he bought over what the Americans used as well. I took some stills - alot of stills actually of him in the pilots outfit - all of which I will post in the resource lounf once Im done with it. I'll be doing a digital pilot too for medium and long shots. I just want to test myself and up my game a bit too - cant hurt having more skills.

Also I'll be doing the standard AO and wire turntables for a personal modelling reel too, thats also what I intended my Audrey Hepburn character for as well.....

hows that!!

cheers mate
Jay

user added image Awesome! Curious to see how it all comes together.

Look forward to it.

# 86 22-10-2011 , 08:45 PM

# 87 22-10-2011 , 08:51 PM
She is a bute. The Merlin engine and the whistle during the high speed passes sound great.

# 88 22-10-2011 , 09:24 PM
Isn't it!! Theres another very similar but the picture isnt as good, called Big beautiful Doll...she howls like the wind!!! Sounds great...I was looking up Spitfires for Bullet too, so will post those on his thread when I do.

Update on the P51 coming shortly, just doing the exhaust points behind the prop cutting that hole!!

Jay

# 89 22-10-2011 , 10:40 PM
You want to here a sound like no other airplane. Search for the air race videos of a F8F converted to air race plane named Rare Bear.

I will get back on the F8F project at some point and may do a Rare Bear version. The modification would not be that hard.

Reno Airrace - Rare Bear 2003 - YouTube

It uses a modified P3 Orion propeller (looks like a gigantic spoon) and I saw it at the Reno air races some years back. It is to bad that all you can get in the videos is sound because when it flew past the earth rumbled! They had a 3 and 4-blade version one was faster in the straights and the other for tight turn short courses.

When I was living in Plano TX I had a hanger right next to the Strega. This is not my video just one I found. All my stuff is buried in storage.

Strega - Whitch-in-the-box or the Merlin that screamed in the night - YouTube

Last edited by ctbram; 22-10-2011 at 10:51 PM.
# 90 22-10-2011 , 11:50 PM
Hahaha excellent...that F8F just rumbles....not as elegant as the Merlin though, still sound bloody good...

anyway small update.....Adding the exhaust area now..will add the pipes tomorrow

Jay

Attached Thumbnails