Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-08-2003 , 07:39 PM

more questions. extruding and attaching

man, seems like at every turn there is a problem.it's so frustrating as a newbie trying to learn this application alone. i know exactly how i want certain thing to look but i just don't know how it can be achieved. i don't want to keep posting new threads but i have nowhere to turn

my problem #4821 is this. i'm making a model of my glasses and i'm stuck in 2 places.

1. frame. i made a long cv curve and a ring and extruded to make a tube. the problem is, the ring stayed in same position on the tube so when the frame curved, it made a knot. see the picture below. how can i fix this, so that the ring rotates with the curve?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-08-2003 , 07:43 PM
2. lens. i made a nurb circle and lofted it. i made another one and placed it underneath. then i extruded another piece. how can i attach all 3 pieces into one? i tried the attach and align options but they had so many options that i didn't know what to do. i think it has to do with the surface i created with the circle. i can't select isoparms again.does a nurb object has to have depth in order to select isoparms? i just don't get the properties of iso..

i deeply appreciate this

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 10-08-2003 , 09:07 PM
The Maya Mountain

Turn Extrude type to Tube, Fixed Path to On, and Use Component Pivot to (of all things) Component Pivot.

That usually straigtens it out for me.

You can't attach them. Best you could do is to make them tangent so seams aren't noticeable. Otherwise, you'd need to try to make that shape a different way.

# 4 10-08-2003 , 09:19 PM
You could try making the lens out of a scaled in sphere, twould give it a curved surface to it that way.

# 5 10-08-2003 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
Or a cylinder with the subdivisions increased to ensure it was smooth round the edges.

# 6 11-08-2003 , 12:09 AM
A cylinder would give flat faces, which lenses dont have. But yes, its a good way of modelling them.

# 7 11-08-2003 , 05:29 AM
mt, i tried the options you mentioned but it turned out weird. check out the first pic. i went back to 'flat' and created an isoparm near the mess and rotated several vertices and it untangled. thanks anyway.

i still don't understand why the CV-created surfaces are so limited in their abilities. since you guys have so much experience in 3d, do you guys ever create something from scratch using CV? or start with primitives and go from there?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-08-2003 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
in the last pic the lower hook looks really good. maybe you need press 3 to display it with more precision (it doed not change how it gets rendered though). if it is rendered out not round enough, you could either rebuild the surface with more isoparms or higher the tesselation of the existing thing.