Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-01-2015 , 08:17 PM

Scale Objects

hey guys user added image

I'm new to Maya and have a short question regarding the scaling system.

What I want to do: Scale objects in mm, cm, or whatever

What happens: For example when I create a cube it has the scale 1/1/1. If I create another, smaller cube it also has the scale 1/1/1. So if I change the scale on those cubes to 5 they obviously wont be the same size...

... so for example, how can I make one cube 100 cm high and another 5 cm?

Thanks a lot in advance!

# 2 08-01-2015 , 09:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
First off, you can check the units in your Settings/Preferences under Settings (by default it's centimeters), but that's mostly beside your point.

The scale you are looking at is the object's local scale in the channel box, and doesn't correspond to world scale. You can choose the size of the cube at its creation using the width, height, and depth in the options box, or after the fact in the polyCube1 under inputs.
If you've lost the creation settings, and you've frozen the transformations on objects so the scale appears to be 1, you can always use the distance tool to see how big things are in the scene.

# 3 08-01-2015 , 11:55 PM
Thank you very much for answering this basic question