Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-08-2015 , 10:57 AM

Intel HD3000 + Maya

Good day folks,

As the title says, my GTX 690 recently died and all I'm left with is this integrated graphics from my i5 2500k, Intel HD 3000, apart from not being able to use Viewport 2.0 due to the lack of a dedicated graphics card, I am also unable to use OpenSubdiv Catmull-Clark in Maya 2015 and up.

I've always preferred using the Default Viewport in 2014 and as it was renamed in 2015 the Legacy Default Viewport as my default viewport for modeling, but whenever I go above 65k-85k polys, things start to slow down to a point where I can barely move the viewport camera and my work stalls.

I havent yet finished my portfolio and the thing is.. I can't stop working right now, I need to finish it and since I dont have the financial resources available at the moment for a decent GPU I need to live with this peasant HD 3000.

My question is, is there something I can do to improve the performance of the default viewport in 2014 or 2015 ?

Thank you

# 2 20-08-2015 , 12:09 PM
Lifetime Member
You could use reference objects for completed parts or model in layers so you could turn things off when modeling and only turn them on at rendertime.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 20-08-2015 , 03:32 PM
By reference objects you mean that option when using Duplicate Special, to create references of the same object ?

# 4 20-08-2015 , 04:26 PM
Lifetime Member

By reference objects you mean that option when using Duplicate Special, to create references of the same object ?

No i mean you can create a low resolution version for your scene as a proxy then in Mental ray you can reference the high res geometry to come in at render time.
Here is a tut that might help you https://www.antoniobosi.com/maya-tuto...oxies-tutorial

Also as another option you can set your models to display as bounding boxes or duplicate them then put them on their own layer and actually convert to bounding boxes Modify > Convert > Geometry to Bounding Boxes.Don't forget to hide the high res geo on a layer.

# 5 20-08-2015 , 04:51 PM
Interesting, thank you so much for the link and for the detailed reply mate!

# 6 20-08-2015 , 06:08 PM
Lifetime Member
No problem , unless your going to be creating a really huge heavy scene you are most likely best off just to put stuff on a layer and hide it and only have what you need to see showing while modeling because it's quick and easy.