Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-01-2004 , 07:08 PM

Deleting history

i hear a lot of people people telling people to delete history and so on to solve some o their problems.

I wanted to know how to delete it. What it is, what it does, why it does and what its benefits are. i you have the time, thanks.

# 2 26-01-2004 , 07:43 PM
edit >> delete by type>> history

basically when you build something it keeps a record of what you did. You can then go back and edit parametres and adjust things. I have never found it to be all that useful though (I think max's stack is better).

You need to be careful when you do it though as it can cause problems (e.g. if you delete the history of an instanced object it will lose all of the instance properties so any changes made to the original wont affect it)

That's a basic summary of it

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 26-01-2004 , 09:35 PM
Max's stack is not imho better because.. well, it is a stack user added image. Maya works under the hood differently. You can connect the nodes almost any way you like. Even between totally different objects. The only limitation is the datatype compatibility when connecting attributes together (of course you can put your custom mel nodes to handle some exotic datatype conversions). This all may seem confusing but trust me, it is way more flexible and efficient than a stack of modifiers.

When you, say model, Maya builds a network of nodes which affect what the final mesh looks like. When you delete history you keep the final result and get rid of the constructing nodes...

Try this:
- Create a default polyCube
- Apply Polygon -> Smooth to it
- Open up the hypergraph and choose Graph -> Input Connections
You should see four nodes:
- pCube1 is the transform node which holds translation, rotation, scale and that kind of information
- polyCube1 takes care of building the cube
- polySmoothFace1 node was created when you smoothed the cube
- pCubeShape1 is the final shape of the model

Now with the hypergraph still open select Edit > Delete By Type > History. The polyCube1 and polySmoothFace1 nodes are gone and you end up with the final mesh only and it's transform node.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 26-01-2004 , 11:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yep. It's generally the storage of commands for continued changes in the future. However, sometimes this stored information conflicts with some actions, such as the double movement when you group items and such.

There are also some commands that rely on the history, such as binding to a skeleton. If the history is deleted, the binding will no longer work.

# 5 27-01-2004 , 03:50 AM
Subscriber
so you want to delete your history before you make an instance or a bind etc, rather than after.

MOD COMMENT: Yep! user added image

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 6 27-01-2004 , 06:30 AM
Subscriber
The best thing to do is make a short cut on your menu bar by holding-->Ctrl + Shift-->click on Delete history by type.
makes thing fasteruser added image

# 7 27-01-2004 , 02:22 PM
i guess its a little clearer. thanks everyone.