Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 08-03-2004 , 01:14 AM
Classical traditional skills such as life drawing is pivotal when applying to say, Pixar.

Alot of companies use there own software packages so any prior software training you have would really be irrelevant.

You should really look to become a good artist are fotget about the medum you will use.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 17 09-03-2004 , 07:02 AM
Getting a degree in 3d is a misconception as many companies are out to look for your demo reel not a college. That is the biggest failure of people that get into 3d. Go to cg talk and look for people looking for degrees. Art degrees how ever may be your best bet.

# 18 10-03-2004 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
I think I found a really good certificate program
Check it out, it also has a 30day work placement after you graduate

Tell me if it looks like a good move

# 19 10-03-2004 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
# 20 10-03-2004 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber
What a pill, That School is full of crap, First I have to have a portfolio to show them that "If" I'm good Enough to Attend their Classes, Then I got to give them $15,000 for then to teach me?

Dude,, Save your money,,, there's other schools out there, in the mean time learn all you can from places like this, plus Game companys are always Hiring, I been offerd a job in Sidney Australia with the little Knowledge I have with modeling for some Mod team I been in, But didn’t want to relocate that far.

# 21 10-03-2004 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
See the problem is I can't work outside of Canada without a degree which sucks, I'd sooo learn on my own but I'd also like to have a little comfort knowing that I can move around if need be.

# 22 10-03-2004 , 11:54 PM
OK, i'm currently deciding on BA in Illustration or a BA in Drawing at Camberwell College of Art. I think the drawing degree has more of a focus in life drawing, which is why i'm swinging that way, but things may change.

Take a look:
Illustration Degree

Drawing Degree

Any advice?
Cheers user added image

# 23 11-03-2004 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
Well I think I now know what I'm going to do

Currently taking life drawing courses and traditional courses for about 2 years included is anatomy courses for animation

After that I'm going to go to Seneca College for there Animation program which includes traditional animation and maya training over a 2 year term

That is my plan - sound good
As well learning maya on my own at home with simply maya tutorialsuser added image

# 24 11-03-2004 , 04:51 PM
dont worry !just operate simplymaya then you will get more information

# 25 11-03-2004 , 05:01 PM
degree in computer animation is a good thing. i have a masters in it and I now work for the biggest VFX company in Europe! I earn a very good wage (I'm straight outta uni) and I have lots of responsibilities and a contract for a year and a half.... I only have this job because of my degree. I can't draw for toffee! There's loads of different ways of getting into this industry but not many people around me draw that well. They can sketch and stuff but there's not much in the way of fine art around here. It would help but it's not essential. Being able to push the right buttons is a good thing... it lets you fit straight into their working practice..

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 26 11-03-2004 , 05:04 PM
hte best animation degree you can find is in australia and france

# 27 11-03-2004 , 05:46 PM
if you want to work there then yes. If you want to work in the UK or in US then one from Bournemouth is one of the best you can get. ILM, framestore, MPC, PDI, WETA, etc etc all recruit heavily from there. So the above statement is complete rubbish. They maybe the best in terms of producing a nice piece at the end. But I didnt have a great piece of work at the end but I still have a great job.

IMDB
# 28 11-03-2004 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
Can you guys recommend a good degree program in canada?

I know of 2 that I'm looking at
Seneca College
Centennial College https://www.bccc.com/animation/index.html

I'm not looking into Sheridan College because you need to take a 4 year fine arts course or there 4 year BA in Classical animation to even qualify to attend there 3d course

Thanks for the help guys

# 29 11-03-2004 , 06:45 PM
the most obvious one is the vancouver film school. It's supposed to be excellent, and to be honest the work that I've seen come out of there has been top notch. I think it's expensive though.

Alan

IMDB
# 30 11-03-2004 , 08:46 PM
I wanna do the art based animation MA at Bournemouth after my BA. I think a traditional background is more important if your in the art side, rather than the technical side. I love to design/draw so going the traditional way is also a personal choice, not just a career choice.