Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 30-07-2004 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
Yea, sharpen the specular a bit more. I used a black background for the camera so that the color would look deeper. I tried using the white background as you did but it put to harsh of a reflective look to it as you are getting. Not sure what the answer is.

But the shape in the movie pic doesn't look as blunt as you have it I don't think, more tapered but its your call. If you are going for absolute realism then I'd change it a little closer to the way I had it although mine was maybe too tapered.

Lets see your next version and discuss from there...

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 17 30-07-2004 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
I would also add some sort of noise on one of the material attributes to get a better effect on the caustic.

Here is a quick example of what I did in 5 minutes

Attached Images
# 18 30-07-2004 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
Here's another one - a more dramatic attempt at the red pill.

I used a circular ramp in the translucency channel and added a secondary light which only illuminates the specular, not diffuse.

I can't believe we are modeling matrix pills. This is fun.

Attached Images

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
# 19 31-07-2004 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber
omg these are turning out awesome!! i think i will combine some of your ideas, use a very very light noise to it to, and use a ramp for transparency to make it a bit more inconsistent

but if you guys play with it anymore, could you use a white background? because ultimately thats the background the pill will have, which is prolly why im finding it difficult to get it perfect

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 20 01-08-2004 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sjurick
Here's another one - a more dramatic attempt at the red pill.

I used a circular ramp in the translucency channel and added a secondary light which only illuminates the specular, not diffuse.

I can't believe we are modeling matrix pills. This is fun.

what colours did you use in the circular ramp? i dont really understand how you use colours in transparency tbh user added image

- Simon

# 21 02-08-2004 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
Actually it is a gradient ramp from black to white. I tried different settings and this seemed to work fairly well. It doesn't really affect the overall color of the pill, however going on the suggestion from Roach about the caustics looking better with some kind of noise applied to another attribute, I decided to start messing with other things. I just came up with this one by accident but it makes the caustics look cool on the ground.

I haven't messed with seeing how to do all this in a white environment yet but it will be challenging as its the black that allows for the deep colors of the object. I did try using a white background earlier and it totally washed out everything. Might have to possibly change the lighting to get it to work with white. We'll see...

# 22 02-08-2004 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
yeah i think a white background adds too much brightness to the image, so ud need a way to compensate for that

so i decided (temporarily, just as a test) to step into HDRI to see if maybe I can stylise the pill, make them more contemporary, and this is what i came up with

do u think it looks ok?

i know they dnt look much like pills, but then thats not the reaction i want to get from the viewer, i want them to think as soon as they see it 'oh, theyre the pills from the matrix'

Attached Thumbnails

- Simon

# 23 02-08-2004 , 01:12 PM
you need to bleed the colour of the pill onto the white surface. And define the shadow more it's too soft.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 24 02-08-2004 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
ok i cant quite get the colour bleeding (its pretty difficult to control fine details like that with final gather

but i comped together 2 seperate images to form these new versions, tell me which one works better please user added image

Attached Thumbnails

- Simon

# 25 02-08-2004 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
and this is the second

Attached Thumbnails

- Simon

# 26 02-08-2004 , 02:36 PM
get it somewhere between the two. And if you can't get the colour bleed to work then fake it with a spotlight... user added imageI dont think that they are translucent enough. You should be able to see through them a bit more.

Alan

IMDB
# 27 05-08-2004 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
Well, this is about as real looking as I can get them. My final entry...so to speak.

Let's see just how far that rabbit hole goes!

Attached Images

# 28 06-08-2004 , 08:48 AM
dude you're last one was way better than theses ones :o

Nem has almost got it but he just needs to tweak the transparency

Alan

IMDB
# 29 11-08-2004 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
How about these?

Attached Images