Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-08-2004 , 12:03 PM

Extruding face problem

Hi, not sure what I've done but when I select a face and extrude it I dont get the handles to pull it around, I have to click the W button to move the face. Aswell as this I get can get some odd results like multiple hidden faces. I've tried resetting the extude options to default but I still get the same prob???

If I select a face and hit G (which I take it is an extrude face shortcut) then I get the handles, whats going on??? edit: now when I hit G I don't get the handles... this is weird

Hope that makes sense
Thanx for any help

Last edited by juice690; 19-08-2004 at 02:23 PM.
# 2 19-08-2004 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
No juice, the 'g' key simply repeats the last command - you'll find extrude under the EdidPolys menu...

# 3 19-08-2004 , 04:55 PM
hit "t" to show the manipulator handles.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 19-08-2004 , 05:31 PM
doesn't seem to work pm, if I create a new poly cube select a face then extrude it all that happens is the face stays selected and I get extra points above/below/left & right, if I hit the T key ( with the face still selected) nothing happens...

I've included a pic of what happens after extruding a face ( all settings in both extrude face & create poly cube are at default )

Cheers for the help, sorry to be a pain

I can't even remember what It should look like when you click extrude face? so this pic may look fine, just without the manipulator handles.

Attached Images

Last edited by juice690; 19-08-2004 at 05:35 PM.
# 5 19-08-2004 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
OK juice, select the face - as you have illustrated. Then, go to Edit Polygons (in the main pull-down menus) and click Extrude Face.

This should bring up the manipulator tool.

Extude, the first extrusion (then hit Enter - to finalise the operation).

THEN hit the g keyto repeat the extrude command (continue in this way until all extrusions complete).

Keith

# 6 19-08-2004 , 07:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
you can use the normal move tool and stuff if you don't get the handles... it's just a little more difficult.

# 7 20-08-2004 , 09:09 AM
Thanks again for the help, Keef the problem isn't extruding the face that works from both the pull down menu & the e/f icon, the problem comes from the fact that the handles no longer appear where once they used to.

I can use to move tool (W) but I start getting odd clipping & extra faces to pull around, and like you said Mike it makes things a little trickier.

What I can't understand is where & why have the handles gone and how do I go about getting them back?

Again sorry to be a pain:o

Last edited by juice690; 20-08-2004 at 09:29 AM.
# 8 22-08-2004 , 06:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Turn History back on

_J

# 9 23-08-2004 , 01:35 AM
Yup, its the history. I had this problem the first week of getting to know Maya. I was trying all the shiny buttons and then the manipulator went away and I was sad ... and a little angry. I guess I turned the history off, 'cause when I hit the button to turn it on all was well.

Do you know why this happens, Jango?

Dave

# 10 23-08-2004 , 01:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
Ah, yes, should have figured that. The gizmo is Maya's way of editing the extrude after it's been done. To do that, you have to have history.

# 11 23-08-2004 , 09:32 AM
cheers guys, I think I must have accidently switched it on before reading these posts because all of a sudden it was working again without me knowing how, have to say Maya has a strange way of handeling the history, but I'm sure it's just one of things you soon get used to.

Thanx for all the helpuser added image