Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-11-2004 , 07:14 PM

Question about overlapping vertices/edges?

Many times after editing a mesh (cut face, extruding, splitting etc.), I end up with overlapping vertices on other parts of the model (not necessarily near the area I just edited)...I notice this when viewing faces where I see normal points on edges. With the HUD on, I can go in, drag selecting vertices to find ones that overlap and merge to fix with no problem but what I want to understand is...why does this happen and is there a way to know that it is going to happen and where based on the cuts I'm making? Or, is this just something inherent in poly modeling in general that needs to be dealt with?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 2 01-11-2004 , 07:37 PM
Must be something in your workflow. Really hard to say without watching over your shoulder while you work user added image

Are you sure you have the Polygons->Tool Options->Keep Faces Together on? Also with the cut faces tool you need to be careful. If you don't have any faces selected, it will cut through the _whole_ model (even if it's off screen) leaving you with unwanted extra edges and verts which you might not see at first...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 01-11-2004 , 07:49 PM
I almost always have "keep faces together" on in my default workflow so I know that's not it. With "cut faces," it makes sense as that happened on the apache around the early splits in the nose area which I fixed. I noticed it again after extruding the air intake above the cockpit and splitting the area around the nose to make a harder edge for the cockpit....I merged the various vertices so it's not a big deal but I figured since it wasn't happening to you in the video, there must be something I'm missing here or doing wrong.

# 4 01-11-2004 , 08:23 PM
Maybe you didn't split carefully enough? I usually kinda "slide" the split point to the end of an edge to make sure I don't add a new vertex. Kinda hard to explain. Hope you get what i mean user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 01-11-2004 , 08:41 PM
No, I understand. I do the same thing.

I'm going to pay closer attention as I model to see when all this is happening so I can maybe pinpoint it. I just hate making extra work for myself if it isn't necessary. I just thought it it might've been an tool option that's doing this causing this.