Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-11-2004 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber

please don't hate me for syaing this!

I was just wondering how everybody felt about the prices of the tutorials on this website.

I think the tuts here are amazing, and obviously take a lot of time and effort to compile. However, I feel that the prices for downloading some of them is too much. I suppose everybody is thinking 'well, if you can afford to have a high-end piece of software like Maya (which is obviously very expensive), then you can afford the points prices'. I've noticed that quite a few younger people use this site, and people who only use Maya PLE, and I feel that maybe the prices for the points may be too much for some people, especially when some of them cost in the 40 - 50 pounds region just for the modelling section. I also think that having to pay an extra 3 points to get the tuts on DVDr is quite steep. This is over 6 pounds, where as the p+p for the already made DVD's is only a few quid (although I know you have to make these up as they come, but it can't be that expensive, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Please don't hate me for saying all this!....I do think the tuts are great and have bought a DVD and some tuts and have learned so much from them. I was just wondering what everybody else's thoughts were on the prices. I don't think anybody else has ever commented on this section of the website.

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 2 26-11-2004 , 02:48 PM
Well, have you thought about it this way. What alternatives you have to learn the same amount of stuff in same amount of time? Universities, educating studios, a personal teacher... i bet you can't get those with 50 or even 500 quid... Of course there are free online tuts and even online video tuts but I think we all know why they are free... Just something to think about...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 26-11-2004 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
In my opinoin they current prices are fine. You have to remember it is a business and i can't get good training anywhere else cheaper.

# 4 26-11-2004 , 04:00 PM
I think over all are prices are lower then most of the other sites that produce the same type of content. I know that Kev and Dave try there hardest to make the prices as low as they can. Like KB states its a business and they have to cover there expensies of running all the simply sites.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 26-11-2004 , 04:35 PM
SM Tea Boy
Bike tutorial shipped on DVDr and downloadable 10 hours total £42 quid.

P and P for DVDr is at most 3 points £3 GBP that includes the cost of postage anywhere in the world and the cost of the disk not to mention someone's time to burn the disk.

If you buy more points the price goes as low as 0.62p per point, do the math.

David. user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 26-11-2004 , 04:39 PM
SM Tea Boy
Apache Modelling, texturing and animation

Total Time: Over 26 hours

Shipped on DVDr and downloadable for around £80 GBP, £62
pounds if you buy more points.

Show me somewhere that will sell you 26 hours of quality Maya tutorial cheaper and I'll consider the pricing structure. IMO we're the best around we're also one of the cheapest already.

We'll do some sort of offer for xmass hang around till the next news letter you might be able to pick up some nice discounts user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 26-11-2004 , 05:22 PM
Hi Lisa. As everyone else mentioned, SM provides a service...this service costs money (i.e., site bandwidth, paying the contractors for development and creation of the tutorials, etc.). Dave and Kev are more than fair with prices and you have to think about the tradeoffs....you get ppl who want the video tuts step-by-step, with no tweaks skipped....this amounts to a lot of parts and thus more points that have to be spent. They could make weaker and shorter content but would that be worth investing in? If you look at competitor prices, SM does as good if not better. And, lastly, like you already mentioned, Maya IS high-end software...if someone downloads PLE to try it out, there are plenty of freebie tuts out there (including ones at SM) that would get the person up and running enough to decide whether or not the software is worth buying, which is the point of PLE in the first place.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 26-11-2004 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
I'll go ahead out on a limb here and say that everyone would love for them to be cheaper, but like they all said, that much video is high quality, uses a lot of bandwidth, and is most likely cheaper than everything else. You can come back to it, it's a video. It's easier to understand, it's a video. Then, you get the membership here where you can ask for help. I'd say it is worth it, but at this point they are one of my top Christmas presents waiting to be opened. :p

# 9 27-11-2004 , 10:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Lisa and dudes

First of all let me just say that although I have never bought any tutorials from Simply Maya, but needless to say they look damn good and are also providing hands on knowledge that really you wont find anywhere else. As I have said time and time again on other posts, this industry can be very secretive in its attitudes toward helping people, its sometimes a case of 'everyman/woman for himself'. I myself have been victim to this. Also there are good free tutorials on here which I'm sure are holding there own invaluable pieces of info too.

On the other hand, its up to you at the end of the day how you go about learning stuff, as I said above theres lots of good stuff out there, you just gotta find it and apply it. But be aware of this, as far as Alias' learning tools is concerned, I feel that their prices for dvds are just ludicrous. I know they are giving industry knowledge out, but to pay nearly 150 quid for a rigging dvd they can keep it, and the biggest problem with their manuals is what concerns me the most for people trying to learn. They assume you already know what you are doing, so you have to read between the lines.

Again I'm repeating myself here but the attitudes on this website are just great. The moderators/instructor dudes make it worth while for everyone here, so lets not bite the hand that feeds.

Just the usual rant. Regards to you all

_J

Last edited by Jay; 27-11-2004 at 10:54 AM.
# 10 27-11-2004 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by David
Apache Modelling, texturing and animation

Total Time: Over 26 hours

Shipped on DVDr and downloadable for around £80 GBP, £62
pounds if you buy more points.

David

I've brought tutorials from both SM and other rival sites. If i wanted to buy 26 hours of tutorials like the above from their biggest and best competitor it would cost around £390 compared with the £62 here at SM.

# 11 27-11-2004 , 03:54 PM
My Point exactly. The sevice here is unsurpassed, in fact I dont think 3d buzz offer it like this do they?

_J

# 12 27-11-2004 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
To be honest, I think the prices might seem a bit high (I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment), but then again, the tut's are the shiznit! They're high quality, easy to follow, and just plain, damn good! Besides that, there's the forums! If you have any kind of problem with the tutorials, or anything for that matter, just ask, and people will be more than happy to help... Eventhough I think the tutorials might be a bit expensive (but then again, my budget don't allow for much more than a few beers besides the basics of surviving), I'd say that they're definetly worth it! But that's just my two cents...

PS: Please excuse any spelling/other mistakes, I'm on the way out the door to my sisters 30th birthday, and I'd be lying if I said I was completely sober, and I'm in a bit of a rush... user added image )

# 13 27-11-2004 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
To bounce off of what Jango was saying about the books, I'll say I bought one of the Maya 3D for Beginners books a couple of days ago and this what I got:

A couple of bullets on page 142:

"Create the straps for the basket [on the catapult arm] with Poly cubes. It's easier than it looks. "

That's all. :p

Not much help for me.

# 14 27-11-2004 , 08:45 PM
Jeez thats priceless!! I had one a while ago, I had a problem with something so I looked it up and the workaround said " Dont do it"

Thats whats its like, right wheres my copy of Lightwave, just kidding

_J

# 15 27-11-2004 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber

Hi Lisa,

So far I've spent almost 3 years in school for animation, as well I've taught myself quite a bit. At one point I thought that the videos were quite costly. But they're no where near the prices I have to pay for tuition. Ideally the main reason I rely on this site, is because of the friendly atompshere, quick advice (sometimes my teachers can't even answer), and tutorial updates. I like the video approach because I learn best watching someone do it, then reading a tutorial. Also I base my reasons to get videos based on style, I like the material certain people are designing and I find it neat to see how they'd approach modelling or whatever it is. Your totally entitled to your opinion, and no one will hate you for that. But compared to other sites, not only do the creators of these videos take the time to make them, but they also take the time to respond to questions and give feedback out of their busy schedules, and I think thats genuine.

Ciao

BillyZ

https://www.verticalincline.com