Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-12-2004 , 10:41 PM

Are 3d Paint Programs worth the money?

I was introduced to Maya’s 3d Paint Tool with one of my tutorials. It was very exciting seeing what all it could do.

My question is: I have been making texture maps with Photoshop. Is there any advantage in buying one of these paint programs (BodyPaint 3D, Deep Paint 3D, Z Brush) and using it instead of Photoshop to make texture maps? Do they have other uses in 3d work?

They are all rather expensive, so I would like to be sure before I shell out that much cash.

I was mainly thinking of time saved in texture mapping during a project, be it a 3d still image, an animation or game.

Regards
Kori

# 2 28-12-2004 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
I have pondered the same question myself. When i first started useing maya i was excited to learn that i could use programs like deep paint to be able to paint directly in 3d. But i found i could never really get the accuracy i wanted with the tools. Maybe i could have if i spent more time learning the program. Anyhow, i went back to makeing uv snapshots and just directly painting on them. This way i can get the accuracy and the detail i need.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.