Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-03-2005 , 04:47 PM

Pole vector: Popping elbow

Hello,

I just can't get this IK Handle (rotate plane) working on my skeleton's arm.
The model should reach for its nose from a "da vinci" pose. But the elbow starts popping in various directions once the wrist joint gets to close to the shoulder (though it seems like a natural motion of an arm).

I tried to correct it by animating the pole vector along to keep it on average perpendicular to the handle vector (which I thought should keep it from popping). The white triangle at the top of the handle vector (= joint chain plane indicator or reference plane indicator?) is steady throughout the animation but the elbow joint just doesn't follow it.

Anybody got some pointers what I should do to get it to work?
What is the most strategic place/position for the pole vector to be in, so the arm IK handle can be freely animated without constantly adjusting the pole vector?

I'll attach the .ma scene file so u can see it start popping at frame 60.
(The animation is quick and dirty so I animated the IK handle which I know is a discouraged practice)

Attached Files
File Type: ma poppingelbow.ma (84.7 KB, 207 views)