Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 27-08-2005 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
Looks good so far. When I get a chance, I'll upload some of my photos if you want. I've got some pretty decent shots of some harder to photo places. I've also got some photos of Captain Hardy's cabin, and the cockpit (where Willian Beatty, the surgeon, worked during the battle). Not allowed to take photos of the spot where Nelson died though. There was a Navy officer stationed there, making sure there were no photos taken (Victory is still a commissioned ship in the Royal Navy).

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 17 27-08-2005 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
That sounds cool man, wack em up and i'll have a look. Seams a bit silly why you can't see where Nelson died but I guess you have to respect thoses things.

Even if I totaly model it without needing to go I will still visist it ... I feel I now have a bond with the Victory user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 18 27-08-2005 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
I'll try to upload them tomorrow. Just to clarify, you can see the spot where Nelson died, but you are not allowed to take pictures of it. I'm a huge Napoleonic War enthusiast, and, as such, it was really moving for me to be stood a little more than 2 feet away from where our greatest Naval hero died, just after hearing that he had won the battle. Of course, he didn't get to find out, but he secured our shores for the rest of the 19th Century. After that, the French/Spanish Combined Fleet hardly even moved out of port.

If you want a cracking read about the Battle of Trafalgar, I suggest you take a look at Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle by Roy Adkins. It is an excellent book, featuring a number of letters/diary entries, etc, from people who actually served at Trafalgar.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 19 27-08-2005 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
Like most of the things I model, I have very little interest / knowledge in them before I start and as I get more involved the the modelling I get more involved in the subject.

I do think it is a fantastic ship and a feat of engerneering we should be prowd of. As for the man himself, who knows, maybe when I finish I might get time to do a little Battle of Trafalgar tribute. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog

Last edited by Tim_LIVID; 31-08-2005 at 05:25 PM.
# 20 31-08-2005 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Just a little update of how the Hull is looking.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 21 31-08-2005 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
Just done the wheel and the binnacle (the bit infront of the wheel) and also made the rooms on the quarter deck. Also gone over the detial I have done. Really iching to do all the rooms and add the detial but there is soo much that needs to be done before that. Not the mention all the rigging and the masts. :p

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 22 31-08-2005 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
Wow, very nice work. are you going to smooth any parts of the hull/deck? if so, how are you planning on keeping hard edges? I ask because I dont see any extra lines around the edges to help keep the shape. Or are you going to subd and use hard/partial creces?

# 23 31-08-2005 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
Well my model is all Poly's so I will either use the Edit Polygons --> Normals -- Soften / Harden command to give it that smooth look without adding any extra faces or if that fails I wil have to just go round and add more edges, but I hope it won't come to that.

By the end of tommorow I will post another shot of how i'm getting on but I don't expect to get too much done as im at work tommorow. Open at 8:00 tommorow cos of this dam PSP launch. Still don't envy the rest of the staff. They have been working since 11:00 pm and will go on till about 3:00am for thoses poeple who just gotta have it now. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog

Last edited by Tim_LIVID; 31-08-2005 at 09:06 PM.
# 24 01-09-2005 , 04:50 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Tim
Most excellent. Love the detail, Looks like it will be a mutha to texture!! Im sure you'll do it though. I was surprised to see you have used poly for the hull and not used nurbs (to do a birail on the curves) but hey the you have the desired result and thats what matters.

Later
Jay

# 25 01-09-2005 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
I was just thinking today how hard texturing would be as it's my weakest part. Just concentrating on one bit at a time. The reason for going all poly was cos I still have a lot of work to do on the hull. I have to cut into it to make holes for the gun ports and other little bits of detial.

Watch this space user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 26 01-09-2005 , 05:05 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Tim

Never say die. I think you'll be fine with some straight forward planar mapping thru what ever axis its facing. Only do one side mind, then dupe and flip. Then flip the uvs on the dupe so the bumps etc arent inside out. Also (though you are probably aware) dont go around re-texturing/uv-ing multiple objects like port holes etc or even gun barrels do the one uv then just dupe and change the map and shaders accordingly. I made this mistake a very long time ago and did question my sanity afterwards

user added image

Later
Jay

# 27 01-09-2005 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for the advice, that's why a vist to the actual Victory is important. These plans I have give me no clues of the colours or the texture of the objects. But hey, stuff to worrie about later on.

1st) Model all the stuff on the Quarter deck (1st floor)

2nd ) Do all the hull detial

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 28 01-09-2005 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
Just keep in mind that Victory is NOT symmetrical. The gunports are, as are the anchors, but some of the other things, such as the entrance for the crew using the gangplank. There is one of these on each side, but the Admiral's entrance is on the port (left when looking forward) side only (can be easily seen due to the gilt cover).

Cheers,
Malcolm

# 29 01-09-2005 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
Oh God, just when I though I got the modelling pretty much sorted something else comes along :S

Is there anyway of finding out that these littles things are without going to Portsmouth ... I guess not. I will do these bits last then. Do it symmetrical and then go back and make it more realistic.

Looking forward to getting it done. Probably show a bit of an update tommorow as I have to goto Karate in a bit.

Also only have a hour lunch tommorow to get back from work and do a bit of Maya and then get back. Can't do it any faster than im doing. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 30 02-09-2005 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
As promised, here are some photos of Victory. I do have more, but for some reason the camera decided to make them blurry (it's not a very good camera - a low-end Pentax 3.2 Megapixel one).

A shot of the wheel of HMS Victory. Note the famous signal on the chalk board.

Cheers,
Malcolm