Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 06-09-2005 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
Here is the view of the wheel, of course the Poop deck will be copyed and moved over to the other side to make it complete.

Attached Thumbnails

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 47 06-09-2005 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
They look okay. I'm 5'10", and I was stooping most of the way round. The lowest points are the beams, which must only be about 5'5" above the deck.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 48 06-09-2005 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber
That's what I wanted to hear. I will do a bit more before work and then I will post an update in the next couple of days or so. See you then. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 49 06-09-2005 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber
I just saw on the History channel a show on the Victory. They covered Nelson and the Trafalgar battle in detail. Very interesting stuff with lots of details on the ship. Not sure if you have access to the History channel where you live, but you may want to check their website and see when they are running that show again. You can also order a DVD of the show if you are really interested.

# 50 06-09-2005 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
We had somthing simular on Channel 4 over here. It might be worth getting the DVD. If I find some spare cash. Cheers for the info. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 51 08-09-2005 , 02:09 PM
thats looking awesome

# 52 08-09-2005 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
Well that's very nice of you to say so, it's always nice to hear that im going on the right track user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 53 08-09-2005 , 02:20 PM
keep us posted with your new parts man!!

I love looking at the WIP's, being a newb to maya as it gives me tonnes of ideas on how to approach probs!

# 54 08-09-2005 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
Will do

Do you have any idea's of what you want to start with?

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 55 08-09-2005 , 02:56 PM
Well, I've just being doing tutorials (free at the mo untill my student laon comes through!!) form here and out of Maya 6 3d for beginers from the library.

I've been playing around with some ideas and models that ive done, i've put a JD bottle in the finished work section as well as a Fender Strat guitar, that wasn't completed (sorry I'll be honest I didn't read the sticky, I know it now though, it was my first post!! the strat that is)

I dont know if this is the right way to go about things but what i've being doing is to create small parts of the overall model in different layers and then combining them together into one layer by stitching them together, its kind of like the workflow i've used in photoshop in the past (not that i'm an experienced user in that either but i know my way around)

Doing something as big as the victory is awesome!! I had to go to Portsmouth where I used to work on business and I saw the victory at a distance through lots of fog and it looked awesome, need to go and have a look first hand.

Have you got an idea of a scene your going to put it into yet??

# 56 09-09-2005 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
Well I have done a little more using the refernce images that Kennez posted. This first shot if of the the ladders and the detial on the Quarter deck. Next setp for that is to put in some small boats that would be there.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 57 09-09-2005 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
I have also made a start of the Bell house. Still needs the bell in there. Im really not looking forward to texturing this thing .... user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 58 09-09-2005 , 05:26 PM
Texture? Just slap a light brown Lambert on it and call it good!user added image

Looks like things are filling in quite nice. Haven't you been tempted to do some final gather test renders?

# 59 09-09-2005 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Yes but im not 100% sure how to do final gather user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 60 09-09-2005 , 05:52 PM
Final gather is pretty simple. If your model isn't too much bigger than the grid then the default settings should work fine. Probably the easiest way to get crankin' is to set the camera environment to something other than black and disable the default light and render away. After that you can try adding in lights or geometry with its incandescence turned up.

Rock on, Tim!