Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-11-2005 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber

Laser Welding Continued

After studying a couple of welding images and videos, I've realized that there really is no visible flame, just sparks and a very intense light. I have the sparks to a point where they are pretty convincing, however, I'm a little lost as to how I can create the intense blue light often assosciated with welding. If anyone can help me out I'd be much obliged. I've included a reference image so eveyrone knows just what I'm trying to achieve visually. Thanks all.

Attached Images

Last edited by Kartzan; 14-11-2005 at 04:14 PM.
# 2 07-11-2005 , 11:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
could try a number of things. One option might be to actually create a constantly morphing blobby object down there with a high shader glow, but with a hidden mesh.

Another possibility is to place a point light down there with a hot light effect attached.

# 3 07-11-2005 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, I'll play around with it and see how it turns out.

# 4 14-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
I've been playing around with lighting, but I cant seem to figure out how to create the "hot light" effect you were speaking of.

# 5 14-11-2005 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
I've spent the last couple hours playing around with the optical effects such as halo etc under the point light attriubtes I've managed to emulate the effect to a degree. I'll post a picture later and detail the steps so everyone knows how to achieve a similar effect.

# 6 15-11-2005 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
Here's a picture of what I finally got. Its not perfect but its as close as I could get. I used a point light and added optical effects such as light fog, halo, and ring effects.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 15-11-2005 , 11:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'd say you could supplement the look with particle fx for the blue cloudy looking thing as well as the sparks that fly off.

# 8 16-11-2005 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
I have smoke and particles for sparks, but those had to be done with hardware rendering. I'm just a lil too lazy to join the two together cause my prof said I didnt have to :p Not to mention I need to start on another project...