Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-11-2005 , 08:37 PM

Combining 3d with 2d - help!!!

I have been searching the web forever and I can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to mix a 3D animation - made in Maya - with a 2D film scene - for instance putting a CG character in a scene. Can anyone help? I would prefer the scene isn't static - i.e. locked camera - I'm sure it would be easier that way, but isn't really what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be much help with Maya Live - which is what I assume you would use? I'm totally lost. BTW - I am using Maya Unlimited 4.5 and After Effects 6.5 Pro.

# 2 17-11-2005 , 12:20 PM
you will indeed need to "track" the footage you have. This creates 3d camera that maya can use. You can then position/animate your character etc. I've never used maya live but that should be your first port of call. Also starting with a lock off camera is porbably the best idea just till you get the hang of it a bit more.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 17-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Thanks for the response - but does anyone know of a good book or preferably a DVD tutorial or online tutorial that I can use to learn this process?

# 4 17-11-2005 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
There is information on this forum, that's how I've learnt. Do a search for "Maya Live".

This is the Thread That got me going.

Cheers
Paul

# 5 17-11-2005 , 08:51 PM
Wow - thanks Paul - I just read through that entire thread and it seemed like really useful info. Can't wait to get home and give Live a try. Anyway you can get your footage back up online?