Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-12-2005 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber

Character Rigging and Ik

Hey all, working on another project that consists of modeling, texturing, rigging, animation etc. I just finished modeling and I've created the joint structure and parented the body sections to the appropriate joints (all rigid binding) and I'm having a little bit of difficulty setting up the Ik structure for the character.

My first problem is how do I change the way a joint moves so that it bends correctly. The pictures below show my problem. The knee needs to move like a human knee and it obviosuly isnt doing that.

Second, I'm not sure how i should set up the Ik structure for the arms, seeing as how the are a little more complicated (fingers) than the legs. Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-12-2005 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
And the leg problem:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 07-12-2005 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
Here's a close up of the arm structure:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 07-12-2005 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
when u were laying out your joints u should have set them slightly bent toward the axis u want the ik to calculate from.

but u can disable the iks,
select the elbow [or knee joint] rotate them in the correct bent angle then right click on the joint and choose "set preferred angle"

then 0 them out again to default position then enable ik again

Last edited by vladimirjp; 07-12-2005 at 05:33 PM.
# 5 07-12-2005 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a ton, I'll try it out.

# 6 08-12-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately its not working user added image and I'm stuck again. I've played with a bunch of settings but nothing seems to work. If anyone wants to take a look at the maya file and help me out, just give me your email address and I'll send it. Thanks all.

# 7 08-12-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
I somehow got one of the legs to work properly, but I think it was a mistake because I cant figure it out for the life of me user added image

# 8 08-12-2005 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
Just got the legs to work, still not exactly sure how I did it, but I think I'll have it down by the time I finish the arms...