Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 256 04-02-2006 , 01:14 AM
update in his mouth

Attached Thumbnails
# 257 04-02-2006 , 02:05 AM
nice!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 258 04-02-2006 , 05:10 PM
i see nobody is intrsteduser added image

# 259 04-02-2006 , 06:34 PM
render

Attached Thumbnails
# 260 04-02-2006 , 06:37 PM
The Maya Mountain
looking like it's coming together nicely. user added image

# 261 04-02-2006 , 08:14 PM
thanx!:attn:

# 262 04-02-2006 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
Looking good, adjusting to what you are looking for. user added image

If your not done with the tongue go to next paragraph. However, you can always use YOUR tongue as a guide since we share quite a bit of the same features. The tongue is a muscle and should relect as such. The size is okay it needs to be a little thicker though. Also these guys eat a lot of rough material so applying a slight dis map on his tongue would reflect his diet and only add to the realism.

Im also looking at the mouth still and there is just something not right about the pose. The jaw does not look correct. Just like like in us humans, the ape's jaw extends back and up behind the check bones. At this point the pivot allows the jaw to rotate downward. However the lower jaw on your model appears that it is not pivoting but more like it is just simply being translated down and rotated a little to give the impression that it is opening. If this project is VERY important to you to do it realistically than reexamine the mouth. Even get an anatomy book like Animal Anatomy by Goldfinger.

Since you are making him look this way your focal point is his mouth. So you must get it absolutely correct otherwise people will say something is not right. You can exagerate as much as you want as long as it is believable.

Also you had a good dynamic angle on him before. Why did you change it?

THIS IS MY CC AND I STAND BY IT. user added image

Keep up the good work, you still have time. user added image

Last edited by papalatistudios; 04-02-2006 at 10:41 PM.
# 263 04-02-2006 , 11:03 PM
thanx for that great CC! you are surely right about the lower jaw.i will try to do something on it.my toungue is not finished yet, there is no texture on it, only a basic color just to see what it would look like with a tongue.

now, im almost finished with the interior of the mouth, see what i get.

Attached Thumbnails
# 264 04-02-2006 , 11:49 PM
i made some changes with zbrush.

on the right its the old one and on the left its the updated one.let me know if you think its better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 265 05-02-2006 , 06:46 PM
new render.what can i do to make the render look more realistic?all i have is two spot light one at 1.000 and the second one at 0.2 of intensity and an hdri.

Attached Thumbnails
# 266 05-02-2006 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
First off, I meant to write Local Light not Focal Light.

Now onto the CC...

A lot of it has to do with your lighting. Your light setup does not match the background that you have put him into.

1. The lighting in the background is natural light (sunlight). It is directional and mainly coming from above providing top lighting. However there are obstructions which you show here. Those obstructions are trees. So the trees would create a caustic look onto his head with the light bouncing through the limbs and leaves.

2. The lighting in the foreground and which you have provided for your gorilla is a local light. The 3 things wrong with this are. (I increased the levels of the gorilla to show this.)

a) It does not match the directional light of the natural lighting in the background.
b) It is a bright WHITE light, where the natural lighting provides a WARM lighting scheme.
c) Your values also are a little too subtle they should punch but at the same time be controlled because you do not want to make your gorilla look metallic as if he is a cyborg gorilla from the future.

So try to make the foreground correlate with the background and the picture will start to flow.

(Now if you want if to appear that your taking a picture and that the light that your providing onto his head is a flash from a camera. Then your background must reflect this.)

Also see how I increased the levels. Just doing that alone made all the work you did in zbrush pop out even more, providing more details and value to the gorilla. He looks more alive.

Also you keep asking about realism. You have to wait till you finally put the fur on because the fur will reflect light differently than a almost flat surface with specular.

Keep it up. user added image

THIS IS MY CC AND I STAND BY ITuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by papalatistudios; 05-02-2006 at 09:25 PM.
# 267 05-02-2006 , 10:10 PM
what intensity should i put on my lights..and how can i create a caustic look.

Last edited by mc-fleury; 05-02-2006 at 10:17 PM.
# 268 05-02-2006 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
If the jungles of Africa and other great countries where the gorilla roams, have a bunch of spotlights setup. Then you should have a local light on him showing this. If someone is supposed to be taking his picture here with a camera's flash lighting him, then there should be a local light. If both of these things are not happening then no local light should exist. Local Light is artificial light. It should be lit with directional, natural looking, light. This will give the impression that natural light (sunlight) is what is lighting the scene.

Here is what I would do...

The lighting should be warmer.

The lighting should have a directional top lighting scheme.

Ambient Lighting from the light bouncing off of various plant life will provide a fill light with almost the faintest bit of green (maybe).

You can do a cheap caustic lighting by creating a 2d planar map to map on transparently to a light so that when the light shines it gives the illusion of passing throught branches. The map can be created in photoshop. However the distance from the branches and leaves from the gorillas is probably 5-15 feet. So the caustic lighting would not having any real detail. The fall off of the lighting would give it a resemblance of caustics but not be true caustics. So the appearence of lighting traveling through branches and leaves is hinted but not given. This method will also cut down on your render time. Caustics is very trying on the cpu. So doing it this way will only help.

Try a few things, you have a few weeks. Also keep in mind that you can render this thing out in passes and composite it within photoshop. At which time you can play with the values and what not. Not everything is done within Maya like Im sure you know.

At this point I would simply focus on modeling and texturing once your done with those things then worry about your lighting. Too much time can by devoted to lighting and even if it looks correctly lit your model and texturing can bring down the composition if it does not look right.

THIS IS MY CC AND I STAND BY IT user added image

# 269 05-02-2006 , 10:44 PM
thanx ,you always have great conseils!

# 270 05-02-2006 , 10:51 PM
i tried a better lighting no caustic yet.

Attached Thumbnails