Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-01-2006 , 02:05 PM

Need help with viewing particles i persp.

I just began using Maya and I'm new to 3D-modelling. I'm doing the Learning Maya 7 Foundation tutorial now (Alias training guide book) and everything has gone fine though I'm stuck now because of a very simple problem. I'm supposed to create a fire, and I'm supposed to see the particles in the perspective window when i play the animation with the time slider, but nothing shows up. The only window that shows the particles is the Side Panel. Would appreciate help user added image.

Thank you.

# 2 14-01-2006 , 03:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you see nothing at all, I would first check your display options in the view port to see if Dynamics are toggled to be hidden or not.

# 3 14-01-2006 , 05:52 PM
Thank you for your response.

This is strange. I checked that it was checked and it was. Then I opened a file that came along with the tutorial and there it worked fully. This is how I try to add the Fire myself.

Dynamics in the marking menu ->
Select a box I made, then select Effects - Fire ->
Click on the Animation Preferences to set to play every frame.

Though after this I stillcan just see it in the side-panel.

EDIT: Well it shows up on rendering, but still nothing in perspective view...

Last edited by vane505; 14-01-2006 at 07:17 PM.
# 4 15-01-2006 , 10:03 PM
Well I noticed that the flame-effect is shown as squares in the perspective-window instead. Would really appreciate if you could tell me how you can make it into those circular shapes instead.

# 5 15-01-2006 , 10:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
So you are seeing the particles then? You might just need to turn on Hardward Texturing in the view port under the Shading menu.

# 6 16-01-2006 , 12:29 AM
Yeah done that.... well something mysterious happened... everything just started to work user added image. I do really appreciate the answers from you mtmckinley. I do have another question though, and it's about rendering. Sometimes when I render the rendering is pitch black. Just wondering if you have any ideas how I succeeded to make the rendering all black?

Thank you.

# 7 16-01-2006 , 11:08 AM
what tutorial is it your using? cos it sounds cool were can i find it?