Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-01-2006 , 04:20 PM

Randomness

How random is this, i made a char with a little hair on his head, i assign the fur to some small semi circles at the side and just placed these hovering over the head because hes partically balled, with two side bits of hair the rest of his head has no hair.
I can render the fur out fine when i am low poly but when i smooth the head (not the bit with the hair i leave these unsmoothed), it forgets about the hair and just renders a image without any fur whatsoever. Why does it do this cos i tried a test on by making chapes and seeing if the same happens and it rendered it when it was smooth aswell as unsmooth, the problem is just on this project, why is this?
Any ideasplease
Thanks
Josh

# 2 29-01-2006 , 12:23 AM
anybody pls ive been trin all afternoon to fix this n im gettin nowere. =(:headbang:

# 3 29-01-2006 , 02:00 PM
dudes i just remade my model again and kept on smoothing it in stages to see if the fur still worked and it just gets to a point were if i have a few more polys made from smoothing it just stops rendering fur, this is baffling im not chaging the settings or anything is there a specialsetting in maya software renderer to help render fur? I am baffled, i have no idea. What am i doin wrong.

# 4 29-01-2006 , 02:04 PM
Yeah, sorry I didnt get to this earlier. What you may want to do is to keep an unsmoothed version of your model underneath the smoothed one. Then, you assign a transparent material to the unsmoothed one. You also assign the fur to the unsmoothed one.

that way the smoothed one looks like it has fur, but it doesnt.

Another thing you could do is to apply the fur directly onto the smoothed one.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 29-01-2006 , 02:28 PM
ok i will give it a try thanks, why does maya not like smoothing cos the strange this is i aint even smoothing the ones with the fur im leaveing them, its when i smooth the other normal geometry the fur disappears.

# 6 29-01-2006 , 03:16 PM
hmm still not having any luck, every time i smooth some of the geometry the fur just disappears when i render, im not smoothing the planes they are on now either just leaving them low poly the when i smooth the rest of the geometry the fur ist there when i render. :headbang: