Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-02-2006 , 10:19 PM

Basic Newbie info that everyone needs to know.

I just started playing with Maya yesterday as a matter of fact and I see alot of really great pictures on here. I want this thread to be about alot of things that people could use just starting out. Like, do you use templates to start a drawing or just go for it? and if so whats the best way of going about it? Maybe sticky worthy if someone could write something up about some FAQ'? I'm mainly looking for a little insight on how to start out doing things besides tutorials.

Another question I have is when I try and do the dog model when I select a sphere to start molding the head its the lambert ball with the picture of the dog on it. How do I make it grey like his?

Last edited by Dreaddinit; 13-02-2006 at 11:19 PM.
# 2 14-02-2006 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
thats because u used the standard lambert assigned to all shaders as the one to put the dog on. u needed to create a new material just for the picture of the dog.

# 3 14-02-2006 , 12:09 AM
Tip for people just starting out: Learn how to use the search function on this site to find answers to questions that you have. That'll save you from writing a lot of posts and waiting for answers. Chances are pretty good that your questions have been asked and answered before. If you can't find it, then make a post.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 14-02-2006 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
this thread has lots of pointers.
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=15467
And its a sticky.
Also reference pictures are needed for all ure work u do i would say but u dont need a template for things simple like a mouse or maybe a modem.
I would try start modeling ure desktop items things that are close at hand to study maybe a cup even. just practice modeling every thing u can find around the house start with the simple polygon cube or cylinder and just move those vertices around to get ure simple shape then smooth once maybe and add ure finer detail that way.
But i cant stress how important it is to practice thats what im doing at the moment. just modeling lots of household things then picking up tips from here and then venturing into new tools and effects as i become more experienced with the layout, and when neccesary.
Hope this helps mate n good luck.user added image

# 5 14-02-2006 , 12:35 AM

Originally posted by magicsy
thats because u used the standard lambert assigned to all shaders as the one to put the dog on. u needed to create a new material just for the picture of the dog.

And how would I do that? I appreciate everyones help. I do alot of searching but just wanted to see if people could post more FAQ's in here (something more concentrated) and someone or me type up the questions and answers in one big thread and have everyone refer to that instead of searching over the whole site. Newbs sometimes, especially in stuff like this need something straight forward and to the point. If not then you get confused easily. This applys to me also. I know Paint Shop Pro 8 back to front and learned it all myself but Maya is new to me and very confusing for a beginner. Thank you all for any help. user added image

Last edited by Dreaddinit; 14-02-2006 at 12:51 AM.
# 6 14-02-2006 , 03:48 AM
Hi Dreaddinit - Really the best way to learn Maya is to start doing tutorials - there are plenty on this site and you can also find a ton through google.

You could also buy a book... There are plenty that will get you started.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...lance&n=283155

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...lance&n=283155

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...95242?n=283155

I just don't think a thread would be a particularly useful way to learn maya - it's too complicated and there is no right way of doing something. As others have said, do a search or check out the thread that magicsy suggested. There is a lot of great info there.

Good luck. user added image