Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-03-2006 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber

rendering to AVI

ok, stupid noob question alert!

I went through the fire ring tut. and while my system can render the whole thing in no time, I cannot seam to get it to render into a AVI file! when I went into the render options I selected the AVI option, but after running batch render, no file! I even searched my entire hard drive to make sure I did not send it to some strange directory but it just plain did not create... what the heck am I doing wrong?

"I'd call that beastial masochistic necrophilia, but that would be like beating a dead horse."
# 2 27-03-2006 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
Can't tell, what you are doing wrong. My maya did this a couple of times to me. I seems to be moody. But since I lost a whole night of rendering. I do not render to movie files anymore. You could just render a png, jpg or wahtever you want sequence, and use quick time or something similar to compile it to a movie.

# 3 27-03-2006 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber
does anyone know if there is an updated tutorial for basic rendering? I checked out the one in the downloads, but it is for Maya 4. I am running Maya 7.

Could there be a hardware problem? My system specs are as follows:

system built by Alienware
Invidia mobo
4 2GHz AMD optiron processors
4 GB ram
XP pro (not 64bit)
2 SLI invidia quadro fx1400 video cards

:headbang:

for what Maya costs, you would think that rendering to an AVI would be a snap! I have olny had Maya for about a week and so far I love it, but the rendering in Lightwave was much eaiser to handle!

"I'd call that beastial masochistic necrophilia, but that would be like beating a dead horse."
# 4 27-03-2006 , 12:03 PM
actually you get the series of images (as you define in render settings window) that you have to compose in one of the compositing packages.user added image

If the worst hasn't happened yet, that's because you haven't tried everything yet!
# 5 27-03-2006 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber
then why is AVI an option? I know I can save as a series of jpg's or other formats, but if I want to do a test render of a full animation, I do not want to have to import 250 images into premere, and then render them there, that just makes the process take longer!

# 6 27-03-2006 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
have you tried rendering as quick time .qt?

# 7 27-03-2006 , 05:30 PM
What settings are you using when rendering it off?? I.e could you post a pic of the General tab in he render globals as it could be something in there.

Cheers

# 8 27-03-2006 , 09:31 PM

Originally posted by mjcrawford
does anyone know if there is an updated tutorial for basic rendering? I checked out the one in the downloads, but it is for Maya 4. I am running Maya 7.

Could there be a hardware problem? My system specs are as follows:

system built by Alienware
Invidia mobo
4 2GHz AMD optiron processors
4 GB ram
XP pro (not 64bit)
2 SLI invidia quadro fx1400 video cards

:headbang:

for what Maya costs, you would think that rendering to an AVI would be a snap! I have olny had Maya for about a week and so far I love it, but the rendering in Lightwave was much eaiser to handle!

You can render to an AVI -- but the quality's not too good... most people (like me) render to a series of TARGAs and string 'em in QuickTime Pro for lossless w/ alpha channel.

But, to answer your question: (Even though I'm running 6.0, its the same basic thing)

In render globals -- set Frame/Animation ext to name.ext
In Image Format set to AVI
Start frame to 1
End frame to (whatever your ending frame is)
By frame to 1.

It will render to:

C:/Documents and Settings/(user)/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/(name).avi

To verify this, the little "console output" in the bottom-right corner of the screen (when you click batch output, after you render it should be where "Result: Rendering Completed. See mayaRenderLog.txt for information." appears) click on the button to the right of it and look at the output... it should say the folder it saved to there.

Just a question -- where did you get a quad-server-processor 4GB ram twin-SLi Quadro computer if you're only learning Maya? Most people here on SimplyMaya have less than a quarter of the power of your computer -- Maya really isn't TOO picky so long as it has A Quadro or FireGL plugged into it.

But, just in case -- hop on down to nVidia's website:

https://www.nvidia.com/page/partner_c...d_drivers.html

To pick up the latest Quadro drivers.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 27-03-2006 at 09:35 PM.
# 9 27-03-2006 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phopojijo
[B]

Just a question -- where did you get a quad-server-processor 4GB ram twin-SLi Quadro computer if you're only learning Maya? Most people here on SimplyMaya have less than a quarter of the power of your computer -- Maya really isn't TOO picky so long as it has A Quadro or FireGL plugged into it.

I know it may seam like a lot of horse-power, but I own a small video production company, and we are now venturing into 3D - I have been using Lightwave for about a year, but I am also a full time studant taking animation and in class we use Maya (my professor told me about this site) so even though I have been using 3d for a little while, I am very new to Maya. I must say that I am becomming a Maya convert as I learn more about it! I just don't like the rendering system, but other than that I think it is great! and props to the tut's online here! I am working on the Mech, and it is great!

# 10 28-03-2006 , 03:25 AM
Nah -- Maya's rendering system's great IMO -- you just need to know the in's and out's.

There are MANY in's and out's.

My beef is with the polygon tools... they like to corrupt easily.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 28-03-2006 at 03:28 AM.
# 11 28-03-2006 , 04:41 AM
The Maya Mountain
Just to echo what's been said, yeah, rendering straight to an AVI doesn't result in good quality usually, and even if it does, if for whatever reason your computer crashes or something, you can't just start rendering the avi from where you left off. It's much safer to render an image sequence. You can start and stop it whenever and then compile it all together to make a good quality avi.

# 12 10-02-2008 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Just to echo what's been said, yeah, rendering straight to an AVI doesn't result in good quality usually, and even if it does, if for whatever reason your computer crashes or something, you can't just start rendering the avi from where you left off. It's much safer to render an image sequence. You can start and stop it whenever and then compile it all together to make a good quality avi.

I installed the XviD encoder (and MANY others). I can render to .avi and choose to compress using XviD, but it doesn't work :headbang:

If you read the help files carefully you will note that only one compressed format is supported, along with uncompressed format. So if you render to AVI then choose uncompressed (it works fine in Maya 2008 :p ).

Here is an AVI that was reprocessed (super compressed) so I could upload it here without beating up the server:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...265#post259265

The problem that _I_ have with using the 'numbered' files is that you end up with a directory full of many files -- I prefer just one AVI.

You can always delete all those files once you have made your AVI.

I agree with the 'crashing comments' -- why does Maya crash every few hours (or sooner), for what it costs? user added image