Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-11-2002 , 09:41 AM

Your view on graphic tablets.

Seeing as I’m new the 3d scene and I only started working with Photoshop in the passed year, as I never was a great sketcher or free hand drawer (but I’ve been improving, phew) I was just wondering how many of you guys actually use graphic tablets, and do you think these are a necessity or a luxury in the 3d modeling/graphics hobby.

Also if you use one and advise it then please post a link etc so I know where to go if I decide to buy one.

Thanks in advance.

/Maz

# 2 13-11-2002 , 10:01 AM
I have an Wacom Intuos2 A5 graphics tablet and it sure is a fantastic tool. Not just for sketching, texturing and image manipulation but also it's great in Maya for sculpting, paint effects and artisan.

Here's a link to the product I have: https://wacom-europe.com/uk/products/.../intuos_a5.asp

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 13-11-2002 , 10:03 AM
Excellent, do you think size really matters with the graphics tablet, or is it just as easy using an A5 as it an A4 say?

Thanks.

/Marty

# 4 13-11-2002 , 10:23 AM
This is the only tablet I've used so I can't really say. For me the A5 is just fine. Big enough and still fits on my desk user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 5 13-11-2002 , 10:27 AM
Yeah, less space it takes up is allways better user added image

Thanks k-brown.

Btw, had a peep at your site, some excellent stuff on there user added image

/Maz

# 6 13-11-2002 , 10:31 AM
Thanks, appreciate it!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 7 13-11-2002 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
the size does not matter. even the smaller (a6) works well, at least for me as i am to lazy to lift my hand while working. but be warned, it is addicting - be prepared to dump your mouse after some hours working with pen. and another advice, dont go hunt for cheap sh!t. i once had a cheap one there the pen had a cable (yucc) - and i changed back to mouse. and i seen a 9" by 11" for EUR 99, and i thought, woah - but then i seen it needs batteries in pen and mouse user added image so i spend the money in the graphire 2. and hey, it works. never used my old mouse again. so hunt down wacom and ignore all the others ...

# 8 13-11-2002 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber
I have the smallest Wacom Tablet, which is the cheapest one.
This tablet has half the accuracy compared to Kbrown's, but I manage, but I also dont know what I'm missing.

Great for sufing the web and I use it when I model in maya.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 9 15-11-2002 , 03:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like im going for the Wacom Intuos 2 A6, glad that size doesnt matter a whole deal cos they do jump a bit in price, user added image

Thanks.

/Maz