Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-04-2006 , 04:04 AM
Subscriber

takeoff

I have started this course here in Adelaide, had to go to TAFE because my uni has no digital topics in the area I do which is 'film' (?) yes, I dream of one day being a famous film maker?? Actually I think it would be better to do a DipEd.

anyway, the first week was to make a rocket on a set. So I went a little further because I have been doing this for 12 months and thought well just did, some more to it, like animate it and use the spot light for the exhaust (should have put a solid fractal in it but...) and used a point light as the explosion at take off, the thing is there's no shadows or only some things have shadows? Is this because of the way I have set my lights. One high above, one near the base of the tower...

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 16-04-2006 , 06:30 PM
Not sure if this will help as I haven't really done much lighting, but
I think you need to select a light and go to the attribute editor and check 'use shadows'. Jramauri was kind enough to point this out to me in an earlier project.

# 3 16-04-2006 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
thanks, actually I went in to the Attribute editor and checked the boxes for 'cast shadows' and 'receive shadows' on everything in the scene.? I think, I'll go back in and have a look, I probably missed something, Yea, I saw something about the attribute editor in one of the free tuts and had a look.., low and behold, mother of mercy, I found the 'shadow boxes' (sounds like kung fu) anyway, I checked 'em thinking great now it's all done, and nothing changed. (actually there were checked by default, there were heaps ina verticle row, I unchecked motion blur, are these the same boxes you mean?)) I don't know much about lighting but it seems the big guns know where and how to place them in the most calculated and effective ways...

I have a tut in a mag that shows how to casts shadows in after effects..? I brought it out of shear surprise, its how to have a dinosaur walk down the main street of a city, with 'realism' (?), I didn't know if that tut was appropriate because the dinosaur never leaves the ground..?user added image

thanks, I will 'check' (pun) again.., interesting how unexpected details pop up in a scene as one learns... user added image

take it easy and life will be easy