Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-07-2006 , 10:55 PM

First Plane

Well here it is this is my first post and first plane it is not textured as i only received maya yesterday and i do not know how to texturize

user added image

# 2 11-07-2006 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber
i don't think it looks so good
this can be made in 2 minutes
but it's good for a first try

------------------- WIP ------------------

--------------- Finished Work -------------
Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 3 13-07-2006 , 09:44 PM
i saw its tutorial on another site & tried it too but im absolutely rubbishuser added image still nice work (4 me ne way);D

# 4 19-07-2006 , 09:27 AM
Banned
You should purchase the simplymaya spitfire tutorial and then try modling again. I know i learnt heaps from that tutorial.

# 5 19-07-2006 , 10:02 AM
Senior Software Developer
Its good for a first attempt, but dont be put off. It takes the average human being at least 3-6 months to become proficient in using Maya.

As meredith stated get the SimplyMaya free tutorials and have a go at these, they are good and give you a little heads up. Then go in and buy one of the DVD Packs ( I own at least 6 or 7 of them, plus one from Digital Tutors). Best to choose one that interests you. Also its a good idea to buy a book on Maya Fundementals for the version you are using. The Learning Maya Editions from Alias are very good, but average about £50 new. Amazon sell the used/nearly new versions quite cheaply.

Maya is hard work, but its really worth the effort to learn even if your only going to be a hobbiest.

I hope you enjoy it and never be scared to post your work here, its a great community of Maya Users and Experts.

Remember:

Always listen to those who are most critical of your work...
They want to see you imporve...
They are the ones who care...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 19-07-2006 at 10:05 AM.
# 6 21-07-2006 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
it is a good first attempt ...

heck it took me three months on my first model ...i did the dragon tutorial from this site and learned alot .... took awhile though ... proficient lol who knows lol

i found the books are good but IMO i like the video's from here are excellant and why kurt explains stuff is simple and then video's from digital tutors are good too ....

maya is very hard but hang in there ..rewarding in the long run

always post work ...we are happy to help

# 7 21-07-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
i also bought a digital tutors dvd and also a gnomon workshop dvd but i don't like the gnomon tutorials... they work so f(*)cking fast that it is hard to follow

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 8 21-07-2006 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
i agree gnomon they are for more advanced users and go really quick and not very clear ..i have bought a couple of them ..if you compare tutorials here and digital tutors there is no comparision in quality and teaching you easier and slower .. just in my opinion.

# 9 24-07-2006 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
and one good point from SM is that the videos are in avi format and the gnomon and digital tutors are in .mov and i hate quick time it crashes every time i watch a video

Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech