Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 25-07-2006 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber
yo the two matts, how are yu guys, thats a killer tut matt (the god looking one) will get back to yu soon, uni started and i have been getting some pretty bad headaches lately trying to organise all.

matt, yea, it sure is flat, i think the render process will be the most important part of the project. it is flat and ANY help getting it to look alive is greatly apprectiated, dont be frightened to make any suggestions at all. im all ears, from both of you.

thanks friends

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 25-07-2006 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
mental ray (he says pretending to be a pro).., with FI

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 25-07-2006 , 05:49 AM
Subscriber
maya software, im just about to use some shafers i downloaded from autodesk, the word 'alias' gets stuck in my throat..,

se how they lok but really i should finish the model, any suggestion for a simple lighting set up to test it with so i am not moving lights all over the view port..?

# 19 25-07-2006 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber
forgot to put the picky..??

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 25-07-2006 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
mark up another flat mental ray image (but better) now back to modelling...

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 25-07-2006 , 08:43 AM
Subscriber
G'day mirek,

here's a very simple way to simulate plastic using a blinn shader.

hope it helps,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 25-07-2006 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
your a legend mate, just what i needed. will get onto it as soon as i finish, gets this, i got to write a two page synopsis for a movie about a deaf dog (specifically a dalmation) who is hounded (good pun actually, i might use it) by a bad guy, no doubt the vet who discovered his deafness (deaf dogs are put down)) and somehow survives. It is set in, or around bosnia, i might put him in Mengala's camp during WW2, would make a good animation actually user added image

thanks mate, one hand washes the other user added image (as they say in zee old country)

And Matt, the good looking one, i will be doing that tut you provided before venturing much further with this, as i downloaded the metal textures from alias (I mean autodesk) and they are crap, excuse the french but sure, if the lights are this way and that one might get a good shader out of it but all i got was black black black, and a lot of tweaking got me something that approximated metal if you had the imagination of a child, thanks for the link. for now i will finish the model, though it is great that the other matt has given me the tip on plastic so i can look fondly upon the renders from time to time.

so betwenn the two matts, i have some good info, one metal and one plastic.

Last edited by mirek03; 25-07-2006 at 09:53 AM.
# 23 25-07-2006 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
heres thte results of that plastics tip, i used it also to sort of think about the meal shaders i made and i think over all its getting there but next is the modelling.

maya software, not mental ray, but when i get the time that should be interesting too.

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 25-07-2006 , 06:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mirek

Please bear in mind that plastic isnt always 35% reflective as mentioned above. Best do some more research. Perspex is a better one for your project I would say.

Cheers
Jay

# 25 25-07-2006 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay,

the example that I posted is a very simple shader, and all of the attributes should be changed to suit your model. Perspex has a refractive index of 1.495 and the reflectivity depends entirely on how highly the object is polished so just adjust to your needs.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 26 25-07-2006 , 09:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mat

Yeah sure I understand, no worries, just thought l'd add to the mix a bit as some people can take one thing as a given without looking any further than what they are told.

Later mate

Jay

# 27 26-07-2006 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
jay thanks for your input, i thought you may have been lurking like a ninja in the background user added image You are correct, i would have thought those specs to be absolute. No doubt i would have fiddled with them at a latter date. Matt's advice (both of them ) has been life saving as i know very little about shaders and textures and your input has added another demension in that i now realise plastics have differant properties and one must know what they are to reflect this (pun intended) in their work.

Matts help (both of them ) has been great. Invailuable actually. Jay you say do resarch on reflective qualities can you recommend the best way to do this and/or how that translates into the blinn attributes. (i know its a big ask and a big question, so no worries if its too much, i mean it might take pages to answer that)

is there somewhere out there a web site or tut that i can look at that will explain how to translate the differant properties of things like plastics or metal and what parameters they translate to in the attributes editor? So one can know intutitively rather than by simply looking up figures and input values, both ways are important but you guys get my drift.

thanks again guys, may the force and all that be wih you...

oh yea, i did a quick mental ray render, with some slight tweaking with the refractions and FG. just wher it should look, 5 by 5..

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 26-07-2006 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
refactive index?? what is that and what parameter on the AT does it correspond to??

looking at matts AT parameters again i have forgotten to set refractions to 1.55. next time

# 29 26-07-2006 , 05:19 AM
Subscriber

may the force be with you

my god, what i meant to say was 'may the shwartz be with you'

user added image

also i meant to say AE (attribute editor) instead of AT.

Last edited by mirek03; 26-07-2006 at 05:21 AM.
# 30 26-07-2006 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber
i did some tweaking and put a 'mirror' on the bottom

Attached Images