Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 23-09-2006 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
if it looks good to you then i guess its fine.

what C&C do you want,

if i say i dont like the feets design are you going tto change it because of that?

theres really not much to say in terms of how technical the model is.

# 17 23-09-2006 , 06:23 AM
Why's it not going to be a sucess?

Looks good to me but Im not into robots etc so I cant really crit

# 18 23-09-2006 , 06:32 AM
I think the edges on the feet need to be harder.. try to put some more edges on them

# 19 26-09-2006 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber

:::Born to be alive:::

You were right...I'm not gonna change my feet because you think they don't look good. At least i know what you think....so that's the point of posting something no?

Anyhow... here's an update:

https://files.czar.be/booya

Texturing will follow soon

Gr.
M.

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 20 26-09-2006 , 09:43 PM
Your mech looks real cool man. One thing though, your left gun turret looks like a smooth surface, but the right gun seems polygonial.
Anyway, you could try using booleans to cut out vents. Just make sure you save first. Booleans can be real annoying.
Press F1, and search for booleans. There should be enough help there to give you an idea on how booleans work.

Hope this helps.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 21 26-09-2006 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Re: :::Born to be alive:::

Originally posted by cut_the_krab
You were right...I'm not gonna change my feet because you think they don't look good. At least i know what you think....so that's the point of posting something no?

Anyhow... here's an update:

https://files.czar.be/booya

Texturing will follow soon

Gr.
M.

the point of posting is to get suggestions to improve your work. if youre not going to make changes based on critics that YOU ask for, why even ask, why are you even posting in the WIP forums?

# 22 26-09-2006 , 09:57 PM
Looks good.

You going on to texturing?

# 23 27-09-2006 , 10:37 AM
Subscriber
Vladimir...no need to get grumpy dude.
You asked ma a question, I answered. And indeed why post? To get an opinion and if I feel it is a positive critic on wich I can make the model better, I will consider the remark. But subjective "taste" is not what I call a fundamental critic on what one should go on. Eventhough I accepted your remark and gave it some thought, doesn't mean I would have to change it right? The feet are the first things build in the tutorial so I think the guy who made that tutorial thought his models feet should look that way. Since this Mech was my first model, I thought I'd post it in the WIP area just to have a crossreference from other more experienced ppl like you. You stated the model looks good. Let me tell you that when you are a noob in 3D and you make a first model, it's nice to hear youdone great, or bad because this or that reason.
Now couple of days after having worked on the model, I found out that the tutorial can be taken less strict, things can be left to the "taste" of the modeler. So in that matter I stood corrected that it's NOT too important to follow EVERYTHING, your end-model can look quite different from the planes provided in the tut...

Echo red.
Nice of you to have spotted the difference between the 2 sides of the head. Indeed once is Nurbs with a smooth on 3 , the other is Poly's with a hard edge. I did this on purpose to show the difference. In my opinion a mech should feel not smoothened. The metal parts being round are a bit strange, however acceptable. That is why I posted the 2 sides, to get another opinion on how a Mech should look like, and maybe there were other ppl who made this Mech, and who wanted to share their final result.

This said, I will start texturing today. But since that will be the first time, ... I 'll take my time for it.

Hope to post some more updates this week.
Thanks for the C&C

Gr.
M.

Always up for a chat !
# 24 27-09-2006 , 06:49 PM
Well, good job then if you wanted it that way. However, you might want to add extra features to that poly-turret. I saw it and thought that it was a mistake. Possibly, others may also think so. Perhaps if you let your poly-turret stand out, by adding extra features, people can understand that you meant to do it that way. However, it is good that you mean to be different.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 25 28-09-2006 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber

My input

Hey Cut, good model matey, after reading this thread I thought I would throw in my 10p worth. Not so much about the condition of your model but the project in general.
Many many moons ago I did this model of a Warhound class Scout Titan in 3D Max based on a lead miniture by Games Workshop.

Warhound class Scout Titan

This model was created for modelling purposes, the anim was just a mess about. Although the model is an exact replica, after doing the short anim you see there I noticed how the way the legs were modelled and moved to me doesn't seem right.

I haven't attemted the Mech tut yet, but looking at the way the foot is modelled, specifically, the ball joint at the 'ankle', how would this work or operate? I modelled a spaceship a while a0o and had trouble modelling the landing gear, rigging them, I found my self asking 'How would they work?'.
I guess it just depends on what the model is intended for, just a model, a game, a film. As I have modelled these are the sort of questions I find I ask myself. I guess I just look too much into it when I model stuff. But it's nice to be able to model for showpieces, games or realism.

Regards

Wraithe

Last edited by Wraithe; 28-09-2006 at 07:52 PM.
# 26 03-10-2006 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
Hi guys,

Thanks for those C&C's.
Wraithe : nice model and animation attempt!

i stumbled upon a slight problem..I posted 2 new pics 7& 8 https://files.czar.be/booya

Question is, I have this extra flying face, and I just can't seem to get rid off it. Deleted it zillion times...no go.
Any ideas?

Gr.
M.

P.S.: Finalising the tweaking and personalisation of the mech.
Starting texturing hopefully next week.

peace

Attached Thumbnails

Always up for a chat !
# 27 03-10-2006 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
well i have had this happen before. .i had to group it to the whole project and then delete the lone ranger face ...then ungroup and it worked. ...

# 28 03-10-2006 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
Thanks mmoore but it didn't help.
Luckily I have a personal helpline, a briliant student and project leader of the Minas Tirith project Pier. HE THE MAN!

2 minutes on MSN and the problem was a goner.

If you have "flying" faces that you can't delete...try going to

Window>Hypergraph Input and Output Connections

there click on the tab thats linked to your whole mesh

delete it
done!

I posted a pic on https://files.czar.be/booya to get a better id
the files is called solution

GReetz

M.

Always up for a chat !
# 29 04-10-2006 , 12:21 AM
I've had a similar problem as well. I actually managed to delete it by back clicking and selecting it as an object. I think that the problem is that you are trying to delete the last component of an object.

Good work Krab - I like the main body and windshield. I might try to personalise the robot a bit more, just because you see this sort of thing a lot, but this is looking alright!
user added image

# 30 04-10-2006 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Thanks arran.

Well it's good to know that there are most of the time different ways to solve issues. Knowing more than one solution can help A LOT! So for al those who donated a solution...thanks.
As far as the Mech goes... it's still a WIP. It's myfirst ever model and so far I'm quite proud of it. i have tried to put on a white blin and made 1 point light, and made some renders on the link : https://files.czar.be/booya
they look ok, but please bear with me....the model is not finished!!
This is just a try out lighting thing. Also my first ever.

I will have loads of questions when it comes to lighting...be prepared!!!

user added image

M.
P.S.: Non-practicing catholic and hardcore toilet paper crunsher!!!!

Always up for a chat !