Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-08-2006 , 11:08 PM

I may have got the wrong idea!

Forgive me for being so incredibly noobish here..

I have made a number of models, as this is the area I enjoy most. I have even managed, thanks to some advice, to light them quite nicely.

Now however I am off to add some textures. I have a model of a coke can, and I want to apply a texture map to it. I have a very nice texture tutorial, but I have fallen at the first hurdle!

I have made the can using Revolve (and the CV Curve Tool). Now I have gone into the UV Texture Editor as instructed and selected my Can. But I see no meshes.

So, I presume I need to view the UV points, so I go to Surface UV and I get the error: Warning- Edit UV Mode Not Enabled. UV's will not be selectable. So I presume I need to enable this mode in order to see my mesh and untangle it, but I can not find it anywhere!!

Now I accept that I may in fact have gone very wrong with my models, and used something that will not even let me add a texture, and I may need to start again, but then this is part of learning!

Any advice anyone can give on how to get this Revolve model showing in my texture editor?

Thank you very much (and I'm glad I started the textures on a can and not the rest of the office I have built!)

# 2 25-08-2006 , 12:23 AM
The UV Texture Editor is for Polygon objects. What you have is a nurbs object (unless you've changed the options for revolve).

If you really want to use the UV texure editor you could convert your can to polygons using "Modify >> Convert >> NURBS to Polygons". I advice you check the options on that one first to see that everything is in order.

You could also just texture your nurbs can. To do this assign a blinn to your can and add a texture to the color channel. Now you can use the place2dTexture node than came with you texture to control the size, placement etc. of your texture.

Hope that helped and if there's anything that's unclear I'll be happy to explain it to you.

# 3 25-08-2006 , 12:37 AM
Thank you very much.

The reason I am using the Texture Editor is because I have created a texture map in Photoshop, and need to align it to the model. I presumed you could only do this with the Editor in Maya, plus I need the bump maps etc (hark at me, almost sound like I know what I mean user added image ).

I'll try converting it to a polygon in a mo and let you know how I do!

Thanks again

Pall

Edit: The convert worked very well, thank you. To think I was struggling to find that solution for 3 hours before posting! So simple when you know how! Now to see if I can figure how to make the texture map in Maya using my tutorial! user added image

Last edited by palleon; 25-08-2006 at 12:43 AM.
# 4 25-08-2006 , 04:17 AM
Turns out the tutorial for texturing I have is for an older version, talking about boxes popping up when you click Planar Mapping and turning the mesh to face camera in Texture Editor, none of which seems to exist in Maya 7.0!

Anyone know a simple to follow beginners guide to unpicking a UV Mesh and exporting it to Photoshop I could read through?

# 6 25-08-2006 , 05:58 PM
Thank you, I shall have a look through these!