Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-10-2006 , 08:09 PM

AV-Seel

Thought I'd learn a few things about animation and oceans so I decided on making a short clip of a ship (called it the av-seel) flying over an open ocean. Started off with the modeling of course. I don't think it's going to be too high detail as it's not really what I'm after. I was thinking of posting the concept art as well, but since my drawing skills are not that great yet, I'll skip directly to the 3D wip user added image. Here's a base for the hull.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-10-2006 , 10:10 PM
Started work on the engine, which will be positioned on the exterior of the vehicle. I know it looks like a wheel, but it's supposedly part of the propulsion system user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-10-2006 , 04:41 AM
# 4 05-10-2006 , 05:13 AM
i definitely agree... can't wait to see more progress on this one user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 05-10-2006 , 06:42 AM
definately cool

ps. nu team mai vasut de mult! unde ai fost lol :p

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 6 05-10-2006 , 12:31 PM
Thanks guys.

And Matt, I know it looked as though I dropped off the face of the planet, but I was still checking the site from time to time - I just didn't have time for any major projects. But I have a feeling I'll be around far more often from now on user added image. Anyway, here's some more work on the engine. It's nearly done, moving on to the wings and hull refinement.

Btw, while thinking of the animation I stumbled across a sky issue. I posted my question in the cameras & rendering forum and I'd appreciate if anyone could help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 06-10-2006 , 12:39 AM
Ok, nearly finished. Converted the hull to subdivisions and added a few more "accessories" to the hull. Here are a few more screenshots. Going to make some simple clay renderings real soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 06-10-2006 , 12:41 AM
And a view of the vehicle from above.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 06-10-2006 , 06:41 PM
Here's 2 clay renderings. Don't think I'll be texturing it as it will take too long and it's beyond the scope of this exercise. I'll just add some basic materials. Time to make the ocean.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 06-10-2006 , 06:44 PM
And the second one. Btw, does anybody know how you can convert from subds back to polygons without losing your creases? The normals seem to be averaged upon convertion, making the model look smooth.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 06-10-2006 , 10:26 PM
wow! This is looking awesome! I love the lights! Good work mate! user added image

sorry I can't help with your subD problem.

# 12 06-10-2006 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
dont u change the setting from adative to vertice - i cant remem what way round it is 1 is low count the other keeps it HIGH
may work may not

nice work

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 13 07-10-2006 , 08:21 AM
Doesn't seem to matter what convertion method I use. Whether I reverse to the base mesh with its original vertices, or convert it using adaptive and so on. The normals are always averaged. I guess one way to solve it is not to do it with subds, but have the creases made with the polycrease tool. Should work, though I haven't tried it. That, or manually setting the normals for the creased zones. Though that would be quite some work for something high detail.

Anyway, here's an ocean preview. I think I'll probably reduce the specularity glow in the end. I'll have to see.

Time to make the animation. I think I found a way to solve my sky problem without going into post-processing. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 07-10-2006 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
The model is really cool. it gave me even some ideas to personalise my assault Mech I'm modeling. Too bad I can't work on it more that just couple of hours a week...
user added image
But no complaints all hours in Maya are fun ones!

Again, good job, hope to see the animation any time soon!

Gr.
M.

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 15 07-10-2006 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
The model is really cool. it gave me even some ideas to personalise my assault Mech I'm modeling. Too bad I can't work on it more that just couple of hours a week...
user added image
But no complaints all hours in Maya are fun ones!

Again, good job, hope to see the animation any time soon!

Gr.
M.

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !