Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-10-2006 , 11:44 PM

dynamic rigid bodies question

I have a penguin in the air. I have the animation set so that a passive plunger becomes active and falls on the penguin from above. right now the plunger hits the penguin and bounces off while the penguin stays still. I want the plunger to stick to the penguin and both to fall together. how can i achieve this?

thanks for the help

# 2 24-10-2006 , 12:09 AM
is it necessary for this to be a dynamics simulation?

i would just animate it straight forward... it seems easier and less of a hassle

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 24-10-2006 , 12:14 AM
i guess it doesnt have to use dynamics. so i guess my question would be: how do i group the two objects at a specific keyframe and then have them continue moving as a group?

# 4 24-10-2006 , 12:19 AM
there's a trick to that... in class they taught us that the easiest (and most effective method) is to set up your animation to the point where the plunger hits the penguin, then duplicate your plunger on that frame. parent the new duplicated plunger to your penguin, and then set a keyframe on the visibility for the new plunger. then, go back one frame. change the visibility of that plunger to zero and set a keyframe.

while still on that frame, select your original plunger and set a keyframe on visibility there. go forward one frame (which should be the frame where the plunger makes contact with the penguin) and change the visibility to zero and make a keyframe. it's basically the same method people use to have a hand pick up a glass, throw an object, etc.

lemme know if you're still fuzzy on anything i said above.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 24-10-2006 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
use a parent constrain,
you can animate the weight on/offblend at certain keyframes.

# 6 24-10-2006 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
i had the same question before. Whilst we r on the subject, does anyone know how i would make multiple objects (i.e a broom and household stuff) naturally fall over if hit by my character.

I animate my character walking through the objects but dont know (without tediously keyframing the objects behaviour) to do this using dynamics.

thanx guys

user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130