Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-02-2007 , 06:27 PM

i had this problem with my female head

when converting to subdiv(or at least it looked the same),I asked a lot of questions but got no answers. I would be keen to see the results of this thread as i have just had to find another way still no solution but ... what version of Maya are you running? ... user added image

Attached Thumbnails

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 2 13-02-2007 , 06:31 PM

apologies

this is suposed to be a responce to sjtaylor84's question about geometry and cubes i will re post:blush:

# 3 13-02-2007 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
If this is a head you're having probs with Bruce, it rteminds me of similar issues I've had in the past. If you look at her neck, on our left side (the right side of her neck, you notice that there are some 'phantom' lines that are in the 'wrong' place and don't seem to connect to any vertices, they just dissapear into the surface.

I had this problem whenever I converted from a poly to a subd then hit ctrl-z to undo the operation and continue modelling. For whater reason, sometimes Maya poops itself when you do this, and rather than undoing the operation, it makes another copy of the subd and converts that back to polygons. This results in you having two copies of your object - one subds and one poly, yet _frustratingly_ they are both the same object, and you cannot easily select one and delete it or remove it with killing the other one too.

If you go into the hypergraph and hit the expand all (or show all connections - I forget) you'll notice lots n lots n lots of connections. By finding and deleting the right node, you can remove either the poly version or the subd version.

The moral of the story is make shelf buttons for converting one way or another then use these. DO NOT convert and then hit undo - it often works, but when it doesn't it leads to this infuriating problem.

Hope that's the solution to your prob,
-S.

EDIT: The second post wasn't there when I started...

# 4 13-02-2007 , 09:20 PM

thanks enhzflep

i have been since using "soften normals' instead this i find realy good as it does not complicate the geometry at all just the way you see it it gives you the idea of what it will look like with out changing anything although i will have a look at your solution as i think i still have the copy of the one thats all confused ... will look into ituser added image

# 5 13-02-2007 , 10:04 PM
i honestly think it looks like you both are accidentally applying the texture to the proxy mesh instead of the actual subd mesh... can you delete the history and get rid of the proxy mesh or change the visibility to zero?

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 16-02-2007 , 11:43 PM
actually this happens quite often when converting poly to subD and using the undo command. might be a bug or somethnig but what you got is two shapeNodes - a subtessnode+polynode at once. i cant tell specifically cause i have no maya installed here to proof. but usually you´d want to delete the subD_node. in this case tho that leads to deleting the complete mesh. so you have to delete the polygonal shapeNode and convert the subD_node back to poly by using the convert command with control vertices checked.

happend to me a hundred times.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.