Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 01-04-2007 , 12:48 AM
Thanks jsprogg. I've gathered that you've been around for awhile and so I really trust your advice as well as many others. Therefore, unless someone else has comments to the contrary, I'll finish the robot and submit only the robot. I'll still create the arena but not as part of this challenge. After the challenge, I'll work on it and post it in the WIP section.

# 32 01-04-2007 , 01:22 AM
All the rivets on your robot, jsprogg's wasp and M@niak's models make me want to cry :p

# 33 01-04-2007 , 01:39 AM
I love how jsprogg used different size rivets on the wasps body. I'll have to remember that one. I think it adds more flavor to his creation.

At first I was going to make the robot low poly. But, when I started adding rivets, some rivets were inside his body, some were on his body and some were floating away from his body. So, I quite worrying about poly count.

# 34 01-04-2007 , 04:38 AM
Lifetime Member
hey perfecto i'm just a learner like yourself, but i do know that Mike will judge your model for what it is with or without a background.
Spend all the time you need to perfect your robot and if you have time then make a background.

# 35 01-04-2007 , 05:09 AM
After watching your progress and creativity, I'll take advice and tips from you any day. I would make my robot look better, but I don't want to show you up or anything (ha, ha, just kidding). I'm actually am doing the best I can (and always will - I never make excuses - it is what it is) and learning tons in the process.

Watch out though, I'm a quick learner and may pass you up one day. If I do, it'll only because of all the help from great people like you. Thanks a whole heap!!! Even though I don't know you, I consider you a friend (as well as some others on this forum).

# 36 01-04-2007 , 06:46 AM
The Maya Mountain
I definitely agree that the robot should be your focus. I appreciate the effort creating the background requires, but for the sake of your entry, I think focusing your efforts on finishing the cool robot will be best.

Keep it up!

# 37 03-04-2007 , 07:11 AM
Been sick, still am but I did manage to add a little more today. Looks like I forgot to readjust some rivets (right) after reshaping the back plate.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 03-04-2007 at 05:54 PM.
# 38 03-04-2007 , 07:14 AM
Since jsprogg mentioned that this robot deserved to be animated one day, I completely redid the base. Now, I'll have to find a tut to do real treads.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 05-04-2007 at 12:35 PM.
# 39 03-04-2007 , 07:16 AM
I don't like the legs much, but not sure what to do with them yet.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 40 03-04-2007 , 05:00 PM
*Golf clap*

^_^

# 41 03-04-2007 , 06:51 PM
Lifetime Member
i love the Work you have put into the back, you seem to be getting to grips with Maya quite quickly.
Keep up the good work and see how far you can take this model.

# 42 03-04-2007 , 11:41 PM
very nice work Perfecto - your robot is looking cool! user added image

I also like your arena idea - it would definitely be worth continuing after the challenge.

# 43 04-04-2007 , 01:26 AM
Yeeeehawwwww! I figured out how to duplicate along an animation path. What a handy little tool. I used it to add a chain from his eye piece to his ear. I also added some thingymajigs to his neck. Next...the treads.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 44 04-04-2007 , 01:30 AM
Lifetime Member
hehe like a kid at Christmas.

if knew you wanted to know we could have told you user added image

# 45 04-04-2007 , 01:48 AM
jsprogg: Definitely like a kid at Christmas! My wife gets a kick out watching me learn.

I find that if I try to figure out things on my own or find the answers on my own, I tend to remember and understand them better. If I post a "how to" question, it's only because I've really had a hard time finding the answer. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated!

Exceed Expectations!