Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 22-09-2007 , 06:29 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Yes i used the ocean shader

# 17 22-09-2007 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber
I reckon you could dirty up the ocean by making it like a brownish color, as thats might what would happen if there was a apocalypse i think? lol...

# 18 23-09-2007 , 06:44 PM
I started ruffing up the textures that i've painted, i'm still thinking on how i will fill the rest of the picture.
So until that time comes i will lay out the uv's and paint the textures of the things i did do.....

edit;
I will look into it marlon johnuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 24-09-2007 , 03:38 AM
I've experimented with paint fx for a couple of hours and this is the result.
I used a texture with an alpha to create the forrest on the backdrop, but i don't like it the visible part has some sort of silver lining which prevents the texture blending in with the background.
C and C is of course most welcomeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 25-09-2007 , 04:59 PM
I've played with lighting and enabled shadows in the render and this is the result

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 25-09-2007 , 05:12 PM
Jr.Who
Looks good. Can you make the trees look older, though?
user added image

# 22 26-09-2007 , 11:58 AM
Once I worked in a similar project but was something like.. a post-apocalyptic frankfurt xDD. It was cool but didn't developed as well as I spected in the end.

# 23 26-09-2007 , 12:08 PM
@jr who; i'm not sure i get what you mean by making them older, so ellaborate a bit more on this if you want
@Legolas_hv;'Once I worked in a similar project but was something like.. a post-apocalyptic frankfurt xDD. It was cool but didn't developed as well as I spected in the end."
Is this a jab below the belt there mate? LOL

# 24 26-09-2007 , 12:48 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mastone
@jr who; i'm not sure i get what you mean by making them older, so ellaborate a bit more on this if you want

Well, one thing you could do is make the leaves gray.

# 25 26-09-2007 , 01:15 PM
this was not a jab below the belt, I hope you have better luck than me.
Then I was far less experienced than now. And any of this kind is a lot of work I think. but anyway my work was not a single frame. It was a complete 3d intro. Thats your advantage user added image
bye

# 26 26-09-2007 , 01:32 PM
You could randomise the trees a bit colours size shape etc.

is it paint fx or fx converted to polys?

I once did a scene with a lot of trees in it and I converted the paint FX to polys (made about 4/5 trees differing styles, sizes, colours etc) as I wanted to render with mantal ray. then moved the pivots to the bottom of the trunks and then painted a few different particle sets, and attached the trees to the particles as instances and added a random Y rotation to them to vary them up a bit.

Also in the distance, I would just render a tree line/forrest as a single image and attach it to a plane with the alpha for transparancy, cut down on the strain on the system

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 26-09-2007 , 09:01 PM
coming along nicely mastone! user added image

definitely agree with gster that the trees need a bit more variation. Also I think that you need more buildings stretching out either side like in your photo - especially if this is supposed to be new york. I'm not sure about the teepee thing in the forground - it looks a little odd at the moment. user added image

keep up the good work - this is going to be very cool!

# 28 27-09-2007 , 08:51 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mastone,

I would have used a projection Map for the buildings instead of uving them. Its a still image so look at it like a matte painting

Cheers
Jay

# 29 27-09-2007 , 11:28 AM
@jrwho; i will vary the size shape and colors of the trees, thanks
@Legolas_hv; I know you didn't mean that..hence the big LOL in the end:p
@gster123; they are paint fx converted to poly's and that's actually a great idea you had about using the instancer for creating the tree's so i will definitely give it a go
@arran;You're right about the amount of buildings and the trees.About the tipi, it isn't the new york you know anymore, it's also just a cone with a ramptexture slapped on it so if i decide to put a tipi there i will make it more realistic.
@jay; and i think i will follow up on your advice too. i hate laying out uv's so i will look on the internet for some matte painting tutorials-workflows(I'm not van Gogh so i need all the help i can get on painting LOL)

Thanks guys i really appreciate the input and/or complements, they are appreciateduser added image

# 30 03-10-2007 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber