Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 06-10-2007 , 09:14 PM
Bummer

Yeah will have a few more days on Talos before paid work kicks in again, but after that back to Talos and building first female character.

I still haven't seen any of your tutes, be kinda weird for me lol.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 32 06-10-2007 , 09:47 PM
Okay here's an update.

To be fair I had most of this body ready from a previous character, but just made a few adjustments.

Need to give him a new 'old man' texture for his hands as they will appear in a few tight shots, typing It will make sense when you see the shots and it will be more interesting that it sounds.

user added image
Shot at 2007-10-09

Needs a pocket on the shirt with a few pens in it of course.

Will send him to ZB to reshape him a bit

Gio

Gio

# 33 07-10-2007 , 07:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah be a bit weird for you watching a tute by me, having worked together for so long, I think you know enough of my techniques and stuff by now.

Character looks good, be careful on that armpit, reduce it in size a bit more, I know thats how shirts hang in that area, but Im thinking of your rig. Add some detail to the strides too, they look a tad starchy! LOL

overall nice proportions....

Jay

# 34 07-10-2007 , 01:43 PM
I don't really add much detail to the basic rig clothing as I sculpt everthing on a per pose basis in Zbrush. Gives more control I feel. However, some seams and nice ironed creases down the front will help.
I have a blend for the pits to pull them in as you say for rigging.

As for shape, haven't reshaped him yet, it's just a default bod at the mo. Will hunch him over slightly and so on. Just got to add a few more bit to the default body and then I'll start giving him a bit more character in the body shape.

Gio

Gio

# 35 09-10-2007 , 12:27 PM
ok here's a mini update.

user added image
Shot at 2007-10-12

will move on to rigging and hair for this dudes some time next week as I will be getting Maya 2008 and there are new rigging feature and I will update my Shave and a Haircut, so
I gonna move on to another character now and will post a thread for him shortly.

Gio

Gio

# 36 09-10-2007 , 12:32 PM
Is that a scar down the side of his head? Ordering Maya 2k8 end of next week!!

_J

# 37 09-10-2007 , 12:52 PM
Scar, nope, prob just the darker areas in the hair on the map creating the illusion.

Once I put his hair on I'll see if he needs a touch up on the maps on his patch.

user added image
Shot at 2007-10-12

Gio

Gio

# 38 09-10-2007 , 12:56 PM
Blimey talk about in your face.

Its okay, it was a query is all, just the Open GL shot wasnt doing it any favours in your last post.

_J

# 39 09-10-2007 , 03:34 PM
cool model GioChrono - the face textures are looking very nice. something about his chest doesn't look right to me though - it kind of looks like it has an unnecessary bump in the middle.

# 40 10-10-2007 , 07:55 AM
Jay: Got two other characters which will have scars though, one guy, the main character Jack will have a small scar on the side of his head where mine is, and a women Alina, who features later in the story.

arran: Thanks. There was a bump which can be seen on the image at the top of the page which I smoothed out for the following picture. Will double check though to see if it needs a bit more work.

He's not done with yet. Will create some bump/normal maps for seams and stitching.

Gio

Gio

# 41 10-10-2007 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber
wow, I need to get my hands on zBrush... I also need to get better at modeling.
This guy looks like a teacher in highschool that I didn't like and that didn't like me.
Good work Gio, looking forward to seeing the other guy you started.

# 42 10-10-2007 , 10:53 AM
Rhetoric Camel: thanks ffor your comments and sorry for bringing back bad highschool memories
Zbrush does make organic modeling a lot easier, and more enjoyable. Although it still requires exactly the same patience and attention to the basic principles as any other software method. However making changes to form are far more intuitive and speedy, and it will allow you to take you work further. Until the next version of maya when perhaps it will get the mudbox intergration which would be interesting.

I'll be flitting between this and the soldier character at the mo as I needed a break from creating old men in suits, as this one is the third 'suit' I needed for the opening pages, but then things get more interesting.

Gio

Gio

# 43 07-12-2007 , 07:55 PM
Hey.

back to this guy now. just started adding a bit more detail to the shirt. The pocket is now part of the shirt mesh but needs some stitching and detail still.

user added image

user added image

Gio

Gio

# 44 08-12-2007 , 02:59 AM
Looking very nice. If i may make a sugestion if you don't have a bump map for the caracter you can make a black and white map of the texture and create a intensity map in zbrush and then inflate it, it will create a bump map specific to the textures.

# 45 08-12-2007 , 08:25 AM
very nice. user added image one thing that stands out is the texture of his hair where it starts at the back - it's just looking a bit straight at the moment.