Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 01-11-2007 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
why don't we argue about what fast food resturant is best.

because its apples and oranges folks, there is no argument.
this is not up for debate, its a subject that is not debatable becase they are completely different renderers.

and no matter how close you think you can get to the render, both renders calculate light and color totally different and it is impossible to duplicate a render from a different renderer.

a simplistic model calls for simplistic renders and light, what do you expect an oil filter to look like?
maxwell isn't going to turn an oil filter into a complex interior scene, which is what you are expecting of it.

you have the notion that maxwell can only do high end pro renders that are 100% realistic and cannot render simple lighting. this is incorrect.

First year 3D Grad

# 47 01-11-2007 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber
maxwell is better for realistic duh...

but your work can be done in maya s\w.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz

# 48 01-11-2007 , 03:03 PM
In that case I really cant understand what the problem was it sounds like your agreeing......

And all the talk of duplicating a render was started by the following "and if you can duplicate this in maya software, i will pay you 100$"

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

# 49 01-11-2007 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
hes saying that what he made cant be made in s\w, and im saying it sure can.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz

# 50 01-11-2007 , 03:26 PM
damn - i always miss out on the heated debates.

acid - where are you my man? - lets get some aphex acid on and get stoked!

turbo dan - nice oil filter....

# 51 01-11-2007 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
god dammit, you guys are retarded.

maxwell and maya software calculate light and color differently than maxwell. it uses a totally different system of rendering that is totally native to maxwell.

there is absolutely no way you can duplicate it with another renderer, if you dont understand what duplicate means, you need to check a dictionary.

you can render a blue ball on a plane with maxwell, mental ray, maya software, and and vray, and all renders will come out as a blue ball on a plane, but each render will differ plain and simply. the reason? they are different renderers. sure if you render a simplistic scene you can obviously get a "similar" look with another renderer, but who cares?

i cannot put it any more simply, this is retarded.

First year 3D Grad

# 52 01-11-2007 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
this is an "identical" comparison

i used raytracing in s/w

same scene file, same camera, same lighting planes, same colors, even the lights are the same color as the maxwell render.

here is my render
user added image
here is maya software
user added image

i didn't use any maya lights for the software render, because i am not going to spend 2 hours trying to trick maya into producing shadows.

this gets the point across.

they are clearly different renders, nothing duplicated in this render.

case closed.

First year 3D Grad

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 01-11-2007 at 10:28 PM.

# 53 02-11-2007 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Pretty sure we all get what you're saying, but you really gotta chill out. I don't want to work with someone who's going to lash out so quickly when he hears something he doesn't like. This is important to note because the 3d industry is still rather small and forums are a good source for networking. If I feel that way, there's a chance a potential co-worker or employer could feel that way too.

Anyway, let's get back to more constructive posts.
The Oil filters are looking pretty good Turbo Dan. I've always been impressed with the Maxwell rs, but never tried it out for myself. Keep going.

# 54 02-11-2007 , 01:31 AM
Dan you really need to chill out, the whole thing could have been sorted out ages ago if you would have just simply said that you wanted to test out Maxwells capability with a simple light set up not start ranting at people for saying it looks like a software render.

And, well ,youve got to admit that with some tweeking of the lights and enableing shadows you would get a renderfrom the software thats pretty close to the Maxwell one, which is what starjsjswars was saying.

Thats that...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

# 55 02-11-2007 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
Dan,

calling people "retarded" is offensive and immature. Whatever your aspirations for the future, I don't think that you'll be able to carry that kind of attitude with you when you look for employment.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that opinion should be respected. Of course, you don't have to agree with what someone else thinks but resorting to name calling doesn't do you any favours and will probably damage your chances of getting fair crit about your work.

Nuff said,

Mat.

# 56 02-11-2007 , 02:03 AM
Touche matt. Nuff said.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!

# 57 02-11-2007 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber

And, well ,youve got to admit that with some tweeking of the lights and enableing shadows you would get a renderfrom the software thats pretty close to the Maxwell one, which is what starjsjswars was saying.

Agreed. Obviously you wont get the exact same duplicate, if you got in the best Maya's software rendering person out and tried to do your maxwell scene with the files provided, they would be really close though not exact.

Well anyway, nice render Dan ...

# 58 02-11-2007 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
im glad the mods in this forum are quick to stop a thread before it gets out of control...

as far as networking and getting a job in 3d.

i have a job in 3d
and anyone in the 3d industry would never bring up such an ignorant discussion in the first place.

lots of you people still don't get it.
if you think thoes two renders are close to each other you are in big trouble in the 3d world.

there is nothing duplicate about thoes two renders but the color of the filter and texture map on the filter, NOTHING.

ive explained it as many ways as i know how. im tired of this. you all need to do research before you get into an argument. about rendering.

if any of you arguers are in the 3d industry (which i doubt) i don't think you deserve to be working in a field you know such little about.
thoes who arent, good luck getting a job in 3d if you cannot distinguish different rendering software lighting.

a three year old would say a plastic blue ball in real life looks like a plastic blue ball rendered in maya software, but this is far from the truth.

when you grow up you develop an eye for detail and logic, some have not clearly.

First year 3D Grad

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 02-11-2007 at 07:50 AM.

# 59 02-11-2007 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
OW jees i really dont want to reply here but you really provoke it.

You need to read what people say, the people are saying that they can get a very close render matching your render, nobody said that green in m/s is the same in maxwell.

To be honnist your very immature and i think this thread should be locked. Not that other people have been like kids, but your responses towards everybody is just acting like a kid. How old are you actually?

I just dont undertand why you dont read the posts that claim that they can get it very close nobody said its the same, getting a close render dose not mean the same, and how stupid is rendering a basic node lighting with a maxwell render, have you even studied lighting? You can never make an example like that.

Ok i understand you dont want to spend hours trying to do it in m/s but why not let somebody els test it.

You have created pages of bullshit with only words no actions, yes you did made two renders in m/s but your missing the point by miles.

Like i said i feel sad that i have to post this, but i cant realy tollerate people acting like you, i have only seen such a fool two times in years of being on communities. so go figure right.

But your maxwell render looks great non the less.

So please im begging you stop replying with ignorance and start posting new images of your improved lighting, or other wips.

This discussion started out very interesting to see starwars proving himself, but he never got the chance.

So go and post new images otherwise your just making a even bigger fool out of yourself .

btw stop assuming people are having 1 braincell, everybody even my dog sees the differents, claiming o if you dont see the difference your in big trouble, common on man, what are you 5?

Last edited by AikoWorld; 02-11-2007 at 07:53 AM.

# 60 02-11-2007 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
how about if you have something to say about maya software, gtfo of my thread, and stop spamming it with ignorance.

First year 3D Grad