Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-11-2007 , 06:33 PM

2d Textures Problemo

Hi, Ive just done 2 hour Digital Tutors Tutorial on the Hydershade but it didnt help.
Im trying to get the floor on the rough render below to match up and create a smooth surface at the mo the textures are mapped so the divisions are clearly visible how to I make a clean uniform surface?

Driving me mad.

Cheers,

Matt

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-11-2007 , 07:10 PM
looks like you haven't been introduced to the joys of the UV texture editor yet.... heh heh...

grab the floor and try a planar map in the y direction - that should sort it out.

here's a quick tutorial to get you going...

https://www.ramyhanna.com/texturing/p...utorial01.html

# 3 22-11-2007 , 07:14 PM
Wahoo thanks again. ;>

# 4 22-11-2007 , 07:53 PM
Dam this doesnt seem very straight forward. errrrr
Can anyone have a go for me i just need the floor to have this texture with no crease/division one smooth surface.

ive been at this for 5 hours+ and its driving me mad no mental.

Texture:
https://mayang.com/textures/Architect...ent/index.html

Last edited by mattbarb; 22-11-2007 at 08:15 PM.
# 5 23-11-2007 , 12:24 PM
matt - i doubt anyone is going to do this for you. I would do a few simple exercises that you don't really care about to get used to using the uv texture editor first.

but what you're trying to do is fairly easy - just select the floor and then do a planar map in the y direction and your texture should be aligned as you want it. Not sure where the planar map option is in the newest version of maya (i'm using 7 and it's under Polygons UVs, but it's probably different in newer versions). Just do a search in maya help and you'll find it.

by the way, the link is just to a texture library.

# 6 23-11-2007 , 07:11 PM
Cheers mate ive sorted it ya right pretty dam simple.

Have a good one.