Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 13-01-2008 , 10:02 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by elephantinc
well its up too you just warch the video and see what you want to do
i know what id do...

Have you used a Mac, or are you just basing this off of what you think about one?

Originally posted by Mayaniac
I did consider getting a Mac, but if anything happens.... you can't go down to the local computer fair and pick up a couple of new Memory chips, or anything else for that matter!!! If you want to upgrade your machine... it's not as simple as new chips... new Sticks, and your good to go!!! But rather you have to buy a totally new system... or send it to Apple so they can do all the necessary repairs, and/or upgrades.

Really? I've never had a problem upgrading my Mac's hardware.

# 17 14-01-2008 , 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
And that would cost under $200 and have the same eye candy?

Ahh sorry the big apple's eye candy! A raid system only requires a HDD, so unfortunatly theres no eye candy for this one as its in the box and selecting the right motherobard would give you the raid system onboard so yeah it would cost less than £200 as all you need is the HDD.

Also maybe its cos ive got deep pockets and short arms but just on paper why would you spend more on a Pc thats got a lot less less RAM, less screen real estate and gives you less options...

And if you wanted to run windows using boot camp, well you still have to go and buy a copy of windows, and if your going to spend more getting an apple for whats pretty much just the OS (as all the parts are now the same) I sure wouldent want to run a second OS that I had to pay extra for and thought was inferior

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 14-01-2008 , 08:16 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I have used a mac before
i JUST THINK THERE EXSPENSIVE IF YOU DONT NEED the extra software and things

# 19 14-01-2008 , 10:21 AM
Hmm... well the whole point of having a Xeon processor is to get multiprocessor support. Unless the Xeon has a faster FSB than the standard Core 2 Quad, then I would go for the PC.

Another thing I would look at is the RAM latency. Apple uses FB-DIMMs with ECC, which is slower than standard non-ECC RAM, and the extra buffering increases memory latency in exchange for more capacity. If you don't need large amounts of RAM, then the PC would win, assuming that you use RAM that is as fast as or faster than the Mac Pro.

However, if you are doing critical stuff on the computer and the world would end if the RAM got a very unlikely error, then the Mac Pro would win since it has ECC. Keep in mind that ECC RAM also costs a lot more than standard RAM, and FB-DIMM ECC RAM costs even more.

As for the other stuff, I would go for the PC. If I were building the system, I would build a RAID array with two 10K or 15K hard drives for extra OS performance and another array with larger standard speed drives for storage. Not sure if it would cost the same though...

Anyways, I'm more inclined to go with the PC, since its easier to upgrade. Apple I think needs Apple versions of otherwise standard hardware which cost much more without any difference other than it works with a Mac. (This may not be true anymore, I don't know).

As for OS security, I would go with Vista. By itself its extremely insecure, but with a bit of tinkering and a few addons (that may or may not cost large sums of money), it should be secure enough. Mac OS X has its own security flaws, such as a firewall thats not on by default (maybe its fixed) and updates that don't announce themselves as security related (Quicktime exploit).

I would go with the PC, but thats just me.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 14-01-2008 at 10:26 AM.