Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 28-01-2008 , 07:33 AM
Senior Software Developer
Of course none of that stuff works for you, u use Linix.

And As I said anout Sony, they dont, IBM did it for them, they probably supplied the staff etc... I did work for IBM for 6 yrs and outsourcing is a huge part of their business.

TBH m8. Your opinions are highly biast like evry Linux or Apple user I have ever met.

Microsoft are giants for a reason and people use their software and OS for a reason. Linux ir good, i like it, but its not going to be vialbe for anyone until it is 100% admin and user freindly and has been 100% standardised. Apple is a joke with its "new ideas" that have been around 1 or 2 decades.

Face it buddy your on a loosing argument with attackignwindows just cause u dont like it. I am neither a lover or hater of MS, but I will defend them.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 47 28-01-2008 , 07:57 AM
No Microsoft product works for most people. Nearly everyone who has used Microsoft products will have a complaint, some few, some many. I'm in the upper ranges of course... user added image

As for IBM doing the entire Cell design, this article disagrees: Link

I think I even had a IBM report that was written partly by the Sony/Toshiba engineers. Its under the 'Phase 1: Conceptual Design', four paragraph down. Given the short notice, this isn't the ideal source (something from IBM would have been nice) but meh... user added image

And of course I am attacking Windows because I don't like it. user added image

I don't like it because it's bad!

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 48 28-01-2008 , 08:08 AM
No its not bad, ur just too willing to moan and are closed minded to think linux is the only and best solution.

I have used MS products for over 22 yrs and never had an issue that couldn't be resolved. Eveyone complains about everything, it how big a deal they make about it that tends to stand out. The culture we are living in is about complaining about everything until we get what we want.

Live a little and get Linux off you PC, put windows on and guess what, you might not have to type anything into a terminal to get things done lol.

Linux is not the only solution and if you think you can do better, then i suggest you get hold of a Windows Kernal and get building and coding...

No!! Thought not.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 49 28-01-2008 , 08:52 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with Ransid, windows is not bad. It's not perfect but then that is impossible since when you write an OS you can possibly know every possible thing some idiot might do with it or what hardware will be updated in a few years time.
I have some issues with it like many but I would have issues with any OS and let me tell you it's a hell of a lot better than the days when there was no OS and you had to type everything in DOS,maybe thats some ppls idea of fun but it ain't mine when i simply want to open an image file.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 50 28-01-2008 , 09:05 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by R@nSiD
TBH m8. Your opinions are highly biast like evry Linux or Apple user I have ever met.

You know why? Because most of us have used Windows. Tell me Chris, how many versions of OS X have you used, and for how long? After a ton of conversations with people that don't like Macs, most of them haven't even used OS X.

I've used Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, XP, and Vista. After all those versions, it's still hard to use, insecure, and ugly.

Don't even bring up how around 85+% of people use Windows. If people know what is best, then how come there's so many people using Internet Explorer *coughDestroyercough*?

# 51 28-01-2008 , 09:07 AM

Originally posted by The Architect

As for IBM doing the entire Cell design, this article disagrees: Link

That article dosent say anything other than some sony and toshiba engineers were there when IBM developed it, hell If I was the head of a company and I was throwing a lot of cash at a project, I would want some of my people there to to make damm sure that my interests were supported through each phase of developement.

On as side note asking does paint do what photoshop do, come on, you'll be comparing coding VRML via notepad to Maya next, and then saying that its microsofts version of a 3d package....

JrWho, Ive used 10.1 and 10.2 at uni and I think it was 10.3 or 4, over a period of, I think 3-4 years if I remember rightly, also Ive used MAC OS 4 when we used to have one as a PC at home back in the day. I found each of them very crashey (well I cant really remember OS4) and a pain to use and they also as they went into different versions seemed to get more and more dificult to do something, and not at all easy to use.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 28-01-2008 at 09:13 AM.
# 52 28-01-2008 , 10:32 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
JrWho, Ive used 10.1 and 10.2 at uni and I think it was 10.3 or 4, over a period of, I think 3-4 years if I remember rightly, also Ive used MAC OS 4 when we used to have one as a PC at home back in the day. I found each of them very crashey (well I cant really remember OS4) and a pain to use and they also as they went into different versions seemed to get more and more dificult to do something, and not at all easy to use.

Jeez, I only really remember using Tiger and Leopard! I do remember Tiger crashing a couple of times (but it was from an application). Since I've upgraded to Leopard it seems a lot more stable on the crashey side (still has some bugs though, but 10.5.2 is supposedly coming out within a week or two).

Do you remember exactly what it was that was getting more difficult?

# 53 28-01-2008 , 12:02 PM
I remember 10.1 and 10.2 using photoshop 5 (I think) and Quark on an imac G4's and G5's before using the intel based MAC's.

I was really looking forward to using them, what with the rep that they had and at the time the G5's were brand new (so were the intel based MAC's when I used them but I didnt do much with them to push them but they got used by idiots and eventually crashed a lot)

At uni applying a filter in PS it was probably 75:25 if it did it, hung or just shut the programme down, might have been cos they were uni machines and they were hammered, on the other hand there were some really old PC's that were running Windows 2000 and the same version of PS in another lab that crashed a lot less than the mac's, and it kinda made me wonder how Mac's got a reputation of being so good in the graphics dept.... But It could have been the Macs we had or maybe that version of PS on the Mac?

Also saving work was a nightmare, put a pen drive in, again, hope it didnt crash. Burning a Cd or sorting out files was a pain as I remember you had to access the right programme and use that to move otherwise click and drag to the desktop made a shortcut or deleting using the delete key didnt delete, and then burning was very touchy on the software side using toast and then when it crashed you couldent get the CD out without a paperclip as it didnt have an eject button.

The top menu (file, edt etc) was disconnected from the app. That really got me, and as I always go on about the single button mouse, I use right click all the time and not having it or having to press a button and then click felt like someone swapping one of my arms for one of my legs.

As the versions progressed I felt that it didnt "respond" click then wait, wait bam! does whatever you asked, it was like it was waiting to make sure I wanted to do it, also as the versions were coming small things that you think would be really basic to impliment (such as being able to use a delete key) didnt happen, or if they did I didnt even know.

So overall my Mac experiance was pretty rubbish.

But I suppose if your used to it and its quirks then its just a platform to use software on, but well software on a Mac's a different discussion.

# 54 28-01-2008 , 12:12 PM
I must say though, as my last post was biased to the bad points, the good points were that it was a nice interface to use and looked really nice, and each version looked better, and going to windows interface seemed like really going back! The lack of viruses was a big plus, although I wouldnt say that there invunrable to them, its just theres not any big ones that can really mess up the computer.

# 55 28-01-2008 , 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Tell me Chris, how many versions of OS X have you used, and for how long?

Let me see... I have support MACS since version 9 and have done a little with MAC OS X, dont float my boat, it is as I said earlier a glorified LINUX System. So altogether about 6 yrs.

I've used Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, XP, and Vista. After all those versions, it's still hard to use, insecure, and ugly.

Hard to use... Click a button and ur done. My son is 6 and can scoot around Vista or XP easily. So I dont think its hrad to use.

Don't even bring up how around 85+% of people use Windows. If people know what is best, then how come there's so many people using Internet Explorer *coughDestroyercough*?

Well my god u have no clue about your subject matter... IE is the most up to date Browser out there, it supports all the new web technologies before any other version or product on the market. As for Windows Security yes it can suc at times, but when there are so many reverse engineers out there finding holes, but MS block them as soon as they see them, but I am regurgitating a subject i went into earlier on dev tiems and finance.

Enough said from me tbh. Theres nothing more worth while discusssing until the brains are engaged and the Linux Lovers/Apple Polishers learn to open their own horizons.

So sad to be so bigited and walk around the world with your eyes closed...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 56 28-01-2008 , 12:35 PM
Jr.Who

I remember 10.1 and 10.2 using photoshop 5 (I think) and Quark on an imac G4's and G5's before using the intel based MAC's.

…and then when it crashed you couldent get the CD out without a paperclip as it didnt have an eject button.

The top menu (file, edt etc) was disconnected from the app. That really got me, and as I always go on about the single button mouse, I use right click all the time and not having it or having to press a button and then click felt like someone swapping one of my arms for one of my legs.

PS 5?! user added image

Ugh, I hated when they didn't have the eject button. That was a LONG time ago though.

Yeah, the menu bar does take a while to get used to when switching over, but I think it's more tidy that way.

Again, I hated the single-click mouses, but Apple has moved past them.

# 57 28-01-2008 , 12:55 PM

PS 5?! user added image
Yeah, the menu bar does take a while to get used to when switching over, but I think it's more tidy that way.

Again, I hated the single-click mouses, but Apple has moved past them.

Yup version 5!

With the menu I found it so confusing a detached menu bar.... For a Os that says its intuative well that was a big thing that wasnt.

On the mouse, do they supply a 3 button mouse with new PC's or has support been naitvly added in the OS? I know the macbooks come with a single button on the mouse pad, so if you wanted to use one you had to buy one.

I remember teaching a guy maya, he was using a macbook pro with no mouse and it was like "right click" "err......"

But if there supplying them with new macs then thats ok, if not then all I can say is why not, it cant cost that much to supply one considering.

# 58 28-01-2008 , 12:59 PM
Jr.Who

On the mouse, do they supply a 3 button mouse with new PC's or has support been naitvly added in the OS? I know the macbooks come with a single button on the mouse pad, so if you wanted to use one you had to buy one.

I remember teaching a guy maya, he was using a macbook pro with no mouse and it was like "right click" "err......"

But if there supplying them with new macs then thats ok, if not then all I can say is why not, it cant cost that much to supply one considering.

With desktops, yes (also, they come with the new sleek keyboards). With laptops, no.

Take note that the Mighty Mouse is a 4 button mouse, with a 360˚ scroll wheel.

# 59 28-01-2008 , 01:17 PM

Take note that the Mighty Mouse is a 4 button mouse, with a 360˚ scroll wheel.

Wow thats a costly mouse! Can you use the scroll on anything and is the scroll a ball?

# 60 28-01-2008 , 01:30 PM
Jr.Who