Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-01-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

DV cameras

ok, i bought myself a camera, sony dcr-PC101E i do believe and it came with a usb cable, now i dnt want to use that because the last time i checked a firewire cable is faster (is this right? i read somewhere that it was but the person selling me the camera said usb was faster) so anyway i have a firewire cable instead
what i want to do is hook it up to the computer (it has a firewire capture board) and i want to capture video and photos from film onto the computer, but i dont know how to do it user added image
in combustion and premiere there are capture options but i cant set it up so i can capture stuff from the camera, and i also dont want to use the crappy software that comes with the camera user added image

any suggestions?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 03-01-2003 , 06:13 PM
it should work with premiere. Does your computer recognize that your camera is plugged in?

CU morpher
# 3 03-01-2003 , 06:40 PM
Basically, firewire is faster than USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is theoretically faster than firewire...note the word, "Theoretically." You might want to check out this article at techtv: USB 2.0 versus Firewire. I've heard of people having problems with the USB 2.0, though...slows everything else down on their mobo so I'd recommend sticking with firewire.

As far as capturing goes, Premiere is your best bet. I have a sony TRV-120 digital hi-8 and use Premiere 6 to capture. In Premiere, when you go to capture or set up your project, there are presets called DV - NTSC and DV - PAL. Choose PAL for your camera and make sure the audio settings are correct. You should be able to capture fine from there. If not, check out some of the settings when you capture....I had to edit a few things (can't remember what exactly) to get things working properly. Make sure Premiere is recognizing the firewire connection.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 03-01-2003 , 06:55 PM
Also hook up the camera to the computer and turn it on before starting up Premiere. That might help too.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 03-01-2003 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
i did all that you mentioned but it still doesnt work
and no, the computer doesnt recognize the camera, at least i dnt think it does, theres no new hardware thing popping up

- Simon

# 6 03-01-2003 , 09:01 PM
What capture card do you have? Is it an OHCI compatible card?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 03-01-2003 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
not sure? got it a while ago? how does it matter? thought they all had a firewire port

- Simon

Last edited by Nem; 04-01-2003 at 12:18 AM.
# 8 04-01-2003 , 12:49 AM
Hi there Nem

Have a Sony DCR-TRV-730 E

had the same problems, and eventually, I used the Crappy s/w with it user added image
if you mean MGI video wave III it's good for one thing, if your Cam captures DV then this one is the best for capturing it, zero frames dropped, and no problem in identifying the camera, worked fine on WIN 2k and WIN-XP.

try it forst to make sure it works and the Card can see the camera and the firewire connection, then try other s/ww, obviously, premiere is the second best option, and if all you need is low quality capture, then go with, uhhmm Microsoft Movie maker user added image .

if you don't have that version of the MGI then I guess it'd be ok for me to upoad it for you

Hope that helped

I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier.
# 9 05-01-2003 , 02:30 AM
SM Alumni
You might want to check in the device manager that the firewire card is not showing any errors (it'll display under ieee 1394).
You can also look in network connections as firewire shows up there too.