Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 11-08-2008 , 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys. And yah those are florescent lights and the majority of those shaders are for viewports sake, they have MR shaders attached and for some reason my cornmeal and sugar turn up black in high qual /shrug.

- Genny
# 47 11-08-2008 , 10:18 AM
details are looking better and better

# 48 20-08-2008 , 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Update. Still fiddling with this project <3. Almost done with this, the time to move on is nigh.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 49 20-08-2008 , 09:52 AM
this is looking really cool. i'm really loving this last shot.

a couple of points though - i like the green and some of the tones that you are using, but i think there's too much green - you really need some complimentary color in this image to help balance it out. (just a little bit of the right shade of orange would work really well). even if it was just some color on the table, maybe some flowers or maybe a book on the kitchen surface, just to break up the green and really direct the eye.

i also feel that the color is a bit saturated in places - i know that you are going for that clean look - but if the color is too rich it can make everything look a bit fake.

second, i'm not really buying the floor tiles that you've repeated on the wall. they look a bit too big and, for me, just a bit more of the same.

anyway, this is a really cool project and i think you've done an excellent job. user added image

Last edited by arran; 20-08-2008 at 09:54 AM.
# 50 20-08-2008 , 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks arran. Yeah I think you're right about adding orange lol I had bits of it those screenies above, probably going to revert back to that. I had checked the machine and these ones were done, but there are a few things bothering me about it, appearently I pulled a switcheroo dropped the wrong shader onto the floor and backsplash :/ I was also thinking of trying some different tiles (keeping it green though), switching out two of those green chairs for orange ones and changing some tid bits and get some more orange in there.

And about the saturation, I think I overdid it in Pshop :x, here are untouched renders.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 51 20-08-2008 , 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
And another.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 52 20-08-2008 , 12:19 PM
Acid44
those last 2 renders are beautiful but, as stated, it could use a bit more color in it, i think orage chairs and the other stuffs you mentioned would be perfect... no crits other than that

user added image

# 53 24-08-2008 , 01:51 AM
Good job, very colorful nice. keep up and cheers!

user added image

# 54 24-08-2008 , 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys user added image. I'm in the process of changing a few things.

- Genny
# 55 24-08-2008 , 05:37 PM
i do like the way the materials are catching the light, though the scene does seem dark. is the only light source through the window?

(speaking of which... is it just me or are there no lights in this kitchen at all? OR ELECTRICAL OUTLETS!!! =O)

Accept no substitutions.
# 56 24-08-2008 , 05:56 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by NeoStrider
(speaking of which... is it just me or are there no lights in this kitchen at all? OR ELECTRICAL OUTLETS!!! =O)

lol, nice

maybe all the panels on the celing are lights?... as for outlets... hybrid amish folk?

# 57 24-08-2008 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
unless those white squares on the roof are flourescent lights (which i assume they are), i'd say the scene needs some light bulbs, i don't think anyone could work in a kitchen with just one window

Originally posted by GecT
And yah those are florescent lights and the majority

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 58 26-08-2008 , 06:55 PM
turn 'em on then! =P

Accept no substitutions.
# 59 27-08-2008 , 02:16 AM
Acid44
yea!

# 60 27-08-2008 , 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Lol, yeah yeah, I did plan to do night shots though I'm being sidetracked by other things right now.

- Genny