Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 18-07-2008 , 08:55 AM
Well, I use 2008 and have the option Harden Edges / Soften Edges under the Menu Normals. And in the Smooth option box, I also have the check-box - Preserve Hard Edges. I was referring to this.

I get varied results with this option - the smooth option does not function fully even when I select few edges and harden them.

Rgds,

GP

# 17 18-07-2008 , 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Unless you need to reverse the normals I can't see why you would be messing with them in this case, because you're planning on smoothing. When you said harden, I thought you meant adding tighter rows of edges (thats what gives you sharper corners when you smooth), normals didn't even cross my mind.

- Genny
# 18 18-07-2008 , 09:26 AM
19 year Veteran
Ah, I see now. I use Maya 6.5 so I don't have that option in the edit poly's menu in the Normals attributes. I guess the best thing to do is to experiment. Thats how you gain more experience.