Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-08-2008 , 01:46 PM

Human Form Video

Hey there, right now I'm following Kurt's Basic Human Form Tutorial, and I'm just past creating the first NURBS sphere and trying to line it up with the reference image placed behind. However, the only way I can see the reference image is in perspective view, but not in the others. In the other view points (even after pressing 5 and 6 to change it) the image plane just appears white and the image isn't actually present.

If anyone knows why the image is just appearing white and the drawing portion isn't appearing, their help would be awesome.

# 2 18-08-2008 , 01:59 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
In the view port menu goto: Shading> Hardware Texturing.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 18-08-2008 , 02:07 PM
Hmmm I've tried checking it on and off, but nothing seems to be changing

# 4 18-08-2008 , 02:14 PM
Hmm, make sure you press 6 on the keyboard, and not seven.

Also, if the objects texture is a 'Blinn' shader. Then the light from the camera will be washing out any color. leaving you with a Grey, or white color.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 18-08-2008 , 02:24 PM
Well I fiddled with some of the stuff you suggested, only to have all the images disappear, and when I couldn't get them back, I opened and older save. Even though I had already tried that plenty of times, it was fixed without me doing anything as soon as it loaded. Must have been something in the Hardware Texturing, because that is what I experimented with the most.

Thanks again (still my hero)

# 6 19-08-2008 , 01:24 AM
I started following the basic human form tutorial and noticed that in the maya version I'm using there isn't "modeling" option in the drop-down list at the upper left corner. And in the tutorial there is modeling selected. What to do?

# 7 19-08-2008 , 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Velig
I started following the basic human form tutorial and noticed that in the maya version I'm using there isn't "modeling" option in the drop-down list at the upper left corner. And in the tutorial there is modeling selected. What to do?

This pops up pretty often, check this thread. Welcome to SM.

forgot link :x

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=30593

- Genny
# 8 19-08-2008 , 06:45 AM
Gahhh!!! Once again, everytime I go to the front view, the actual reference image disappears and I'm just left with a white plane. Looks like I didn't fix it last night when I tried, so if anyone has any more ideas on why this could be happening, please let me know.

Not only just in the top view now, but anytime I re-open my file the image is gone with just the white plane left in all the views. Nothing happens when I press 6, just the white plane.

I can't catch a break now, so on top of that problem, all my manipulating tools (Move, rotate, scale) have shrunk to an unusable size, so again, if anyone knows the solution...

Last edited by iMattTG; 19-08-2008 at 07:59 AM.
# 9 19-08-2008 , 08:03 AM
Again try the Hardware shading trick. Only make sure your doing it in each individual view port.

And for the manipulator, just hit the + and - keys.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 10 19-08-2008 , 08:09 AM
Man this image plane is going to be the death of me. I've tried restarting the entire project 3 times, and I have the Shading > Hardware Texturing option checked on.

# 11 19-08-2008 , 08:21 AM
Ok, In the viewport that the imageplane is working. Goto: Shading> Apply Current to All.

If this doesn't work then you could upload the scene file (minus your model) and I can take a look at it. If it works on my machine, then maybe theres something wrong with your graphics.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 19-08-2008 , 08:37 AM
Ok I've tried Apply Current to All, but nothing changed.

I hate being computer illiterate, because now I can't seem to upload the scene file without it telling me invalid extension.

I Print Screen-ed it into Paint, but i don't if it will be helpful at all.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 19-08-2008 , 08:55 AM
I can't seem to be able to reproduce these problems.

Are you using actual image planes or just Poly planes with images mapped to them? If not then try using actual image planes. This might might be a better option for you.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 14 19-08-2008 , 08:58 AM
Right now I'm using a NURBS plane, and taking the image right out of the Basic Human Form Tutorial, just how it says, but I'll give it a try since it seems to be FUBAR

# 15 19-08-2008 , 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, you couldv'e screwed up something in the prefs because thats a really really strange problem, delete the 'prefs' folder in the My Documents>maya>xx version folder. Or you may just need to update your video card drivers, since you say its there and then when you select the view it disappears :/, weird problem.

- Genny