Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-10-2008 , 09:46 AM

AK-47/First Gun.

Hey guys,

This is my first gun ever!!! so dont shoot me user added image its not finished yet, but i thought you guys could give me some crits and idea's before i finished modelling and texturing it.

cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

polygon pusher
# 2 07-10-2008 , 01:00 PM
nice job - some of those edges are looking a little sharp tho - might want to pull out the bevel tool. also the wood texture is looking really blurry and a bit big.

# 3 08-10-2008 , 12:42 AM
Cheers arran,

i was wondering, does the metal texture look ok to you? ill update the model shortly

Thanks again

polygon pusher
# 4 08-10-2008 , 02:50 AM
Here's a slight update on the shaft. plz guys any crits will help alot at this point.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails

polygon pusher
# 5 08-10-2008 , 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well arran pretty much nailed it, some of the corners are too sharp and the textures are too low res so I'm not really buying the handle and such. I think the metal could use some variation in the specularity, the ridges would receive more wear and tear than the grooves, and some scratches would be really good too.

- Genny
# 6 08-10-2008 , 05:06 AM
ok, thats great. Iam updating some more now.

cheers

polygon pusher
# 7 08-10-2008 , 06:49 AM

update

for some reason the handle just wont look right, i might have to re-texture it user added image the Butt of the rifle looking abit better though.

Attached Thumbnails

polygon pusher
# 8 08-10-2008 , 09:57 AM
Well... switching to a higher resolution wood texture would be a good start.

# 9 09-10-2008 , 02:31 AM
Come on let's CS again, nice job and keep up!user added image

# 10 09-10-2008 , 09:51 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. here is another update, i have re-textured the wood bits on the rifle and i think it looks better?

Attached Thumbnails

polygon pusher
# 11 09-10-2008 , 10:11 PM
Looks pretty good.

A few comments:

If I am not mistaken, you are missing the knob on the charging handle (the thingy above the trigger that selects the mode of fire).

The ejector port should be inline with the barrel, not above it.

The "gas pipe" (the smaller cylinder above the barrel) does not "join" the body in such a fashion. The top half of the body should not be a block, it should be a sort of "ridge" like protrusion, with the body under the sight resting on a block. Its hard to explain without a photo, but you can find a few on Wikipedia.

The front sight should have circle or a semi circle with the sight inside it.

Ignore my real life accuracy comments if you are not aiming for such a thing or if I got the variant wrong.

PS. If anyone is wondering why I know so much about this particular subject, me and my friends were thinking of making a FPS like Quake back in high school and I did lots of research and modelling for it, only for game to turn out to be vaporware! :p

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 12 09-10-2008 , 10:33 PM
wow!! you know alot about guns.lol. i am using a reference but it looks like an older version of the gun. Thanks for you comments, maybe i should research harder. ill make the adjustments(try).

Thanks again

polygon pusher