Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-01-2009 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber

(another) Sand Speeder

Have been checking out everyone's speeder WIP, lots of fantastic work out there, thought I would throw my own effort into the ring. Got as far as the engine (part 4), spending far too much time on the detail here (just as well I dont have deadlines to work to!) and still a bit more to go.

Also whilst making an ambient occlusion image (simply an AO node plugged into the colour on a lambert) any modifications to the actual AO node itself take forever (30+ seconds) to update, following this its no problem whatsoever, is this normal behaviour for maya 2008? Just a minor issue, not causing me any huge issues but curious as to why this happens.

Also I found out by accident that turning off the "double sided" attribute in the image planes render stats means you can see through the back and observe the model more easily - my tip for the day user added image

Cheers Jay for a great tute.

Attached Thumbnails

No job - plenty of time for Maya
# 2 14-01-2009 , 11:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
macs revenge

Outstanding sir so far I love the extra details youve added!!

With regards to the ambient occlusion, the shader is a little slower than actually using the preset in the render layers pallete.

Stick the model on a render layer and set the preset to ambient occlusion. You can turn it off in your view by going to lighting>default lighting just while you model then switch back again.

I'll be watching this one...

Jay

# 3 21-01-2009 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
Have been a bit lax posting my progress of late. Have finished modelling for the main part and have moved onto the UV mapping. I seem to have some scale issues on the engine itself, some of the detalis look quite delicate and not "robust" enough for the kind of homebrew customisation look I was going for. You live and learn - might do some scaling of these as well as add some more detail to the fuselage if I get time.

Will hopefully have a textured render up soon. Here is an AO of the completed model.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 21-01-2009 , 10:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
that engine looks great, its coming along nicely

# 5 29-01-2009 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
Again been pretty busy, taking forever to get to the end of the speeder tute, enjoying every minute of it though. Thought I would post my textures so far, again mainly concentrating on the engine.

Used mainly blinns and lamberts, the golden chambers are a mia_material and I have added dirt to some of the blinns using the mix8layer and a procedural dirt map.

The blue bits are still WIP!!

Cheers for looking

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 01-02-2009 , 12:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 7 01-02-2009 , 01:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sweet!! Glad you're enjoying!!

Jay

# 8 18-03-2009 , 04:11 AM
Superb work. I really like the engine greebling. The pressure vessels are a really nice touch as is your tubes that go from the engine to the fuselage.

The initial texturing also looks to be going great.

I like the lighting you use on the black and white renders. Some kind of occlusion mapping thing? I'd like to experiment with a couple renders like that with the version I am working on.

I am looking forward to your fully textured final.

Rick M

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675