Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-08-2009 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber

help with soft shadows

Im am having a heck of a time for some reason with this current project im working on...I have never seen this symptom before. I am using global illumination and lighting using poly planes with a surface shader on it that only illuminates light...But I am getting these really weird and incredibly in-accurate blobby shadows? any ideas...Also is this method of using a poly plane and Final gather the best method to obtain soft shadows? sorry about the crappy image hopefully you can see what im talking sbout
thanks
user added image

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 2 05-08-2009 , 08:14 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
increase final gather i think also show a screen grab of your scene we might be able to help if we could see your setup

# 3 05-08-2009 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the help...I am so confused I have never had this happen, I have final gather cranked up to 2000 rays??? thats nuts I have never had to turn it up that high...And the shadows still look crummy, its a little better but not much. Here is the image from inside maya, disreguard the spot light I had set that up for photon emission
thanks
user added image

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 4 05-08-2009 , 04:28 PM
Why bother using FG, I would 3 point that and render with raytraced shadows with higher numbers of rays or even software and depth mapped with higher filter settings as its not a hugely complex scene.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 05-08-2009 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber
Hey Im up for any ideas I just want soft shadows is all...and links to good 3 point lighting set ups

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP