Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-09-2009 , 02:27 AM

Hi All - I need some help with 3d Textures.

I need some help with 3d textures from file.

This is a question for the more advanced users, as I am more advanced, yet I don't have time to look for the section for advanced users.

I need to create a 3d texture on a plane, using a picture.

What I am having trouble with is the scaling of the image I bring in from file.

I need it to fit to the plane its a polygon plane, and it must be, as I need to combine the polygons afterwards.

So what I am asking is, how do I get the image to fit to the plane and not to be 600X the size of it?

~Finale
# 2 20-09-2009 , 03:56 AM
Technical Director
Grab the 3d projection node, and scale it down to the size of the poly plane.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 20-09-2009 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
Probably I am misunderstanding the question..but why don't you map the texture using "normal" texture mapping instead of a projection. The texture will surly bound itself to the dimensions of the poly plane.

hope that helps.

# 4 21-09-2009 , 06:37 PM
My first suggestion would be to start eyballing your poly plane i'm assumimg) when you can estimate roughly how many pixels across this plane is, you can then scale your image in photoshop to the deisred level and then project - but you will probably lose detail, or you scale your poly up to fit the image, - that really is going to be the key to ensure a photo or texture isn't going to be so big or so small that you get a lot of stretching.
Another way could be to make the poly plane bigger and use alpha masks on your photo to mask out any unwanted poly's sticking out. My suggestions have all been assuming you work in and out of photoshop and keep your files as targa files. What i think sounds like you would also ask a few more questions regarding the photo ie the res. can you find a smaller size picture of the sme thing but keep its resolution - that kind of thing. either way you look at it your photo sounds to big and if you apply it straight to the plane and still looks too big and distorted then try the above, good luck.