Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-01-2010 , 09:33 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
This going the right way I think.
Fix the nose and eyes by making them more catlike.
The lower part of the ear is still humanoid it should be latched in like a cat's ear with some exces flesh at the bottom of the ear instead of a lower earlobe.

Is starting to shape up pretty gooduser added image

# 17 12-01-2010 , 02:32 AM
It's looking really good Dave! Did the chief have a head dress in the movie? I need to check from some references, if I can find anything I will post it in here for you. Go for the chief look!

Jake: "What is he saying?"

female hero: "My father is deciding if he should kill you."

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 12-01-2010 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
I'm really liking how this Avatar is turning out Dave. Been watching them all but this one has my attention the most at the moment.
I'm liking the way his face portrays the wisdom of age, and yet still retains some youth as well
user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 19 12-01-2010 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 20 12-01-2010 , 10:29 AM
The thin red line
Thanks for your kind words of encuragement, Yes mastone you are right about the nose and eyes, was going to try to fix the nose with a bump map along the red lines I have drawn, a bit of tweeking on the bridge in yellow and move the tear duct (green)to be more in line with the nose.Ears I need some more ref at this moment.
ctbram as soon as I can find any ref for a chiefs head dress I will incorperate it, if not I will copy some of the style of the females head dress and beef it up a bit.
legendofzombi alas once I have done the texturing I think all signs of youth will be gone? may be a twincle in his eye.
mikeyduf not sure ears size is wrong at this moment but will keep a open mind.............thanks all for your comments dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 13-01-2010 , 07:25 PM
The thin red line
Little update, eyes more cat like? ears more navi like?

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 13-01-2010 , 10:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dave

looks good, I think the nose to brow area really needs that defining line that makes it catlike.

Look on the original challenge thread, a few of the guys have posted some great links for refernce

Jay

# 23 14-01-2010 , 10:38 AM
The thin red line
Done as suggested Jay is it looking better

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 14-01-2010 , 10:39 AM
The thin red line
just a side shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 14-01-2010 , 11:38 AM
Shape from the profile is good, but it needs avatarness.

Check refs on the challenge page mate should help.

Jay

# 26 14-01-2010 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
Seems that its becoming painfully obvious that while you look at an image of an Avatar they are beautifully different from a human, but at the same time its hard to lay your finger on just what makes them different "Ears aside obviously".

I think dave, that.. with your's it needs to have more of a ...'unibrow' structure to the eyebrow area....i think the cheekbones need to be shaped a bit different,...More defined, but not more prominent...if that makes sense.

i think the nose is getting there... But still needs a bit of work.. if you'll notice the avatar nose still has the.....almost sharp curve between the top edge of the nose and the front (would be the wet fleshy part of a cats nose) area, and the front area is a bit broader and flatter then a human nose.

Unless you're going for the Sigorney Weaver look anyway user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 27 14-01-2010 , 02:18 PM

Seems that its becoming painfully obvious that while you look at an image of an Avatar they are beautifully different from a human, but at the same time its hard to lay your finger on just what makes them different "Ears aside obviously".

you are kidding right?? Nose like a lion and huge eyes like a lemur?? So obvious!!

J

# 28 14-01-2010 , 02:31 PM
The thin red line
latest update

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 14-01-2010 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay

you are kidding right?? Nose like a lion and huge eyes like a lemur?? So obvious!!

J

LoL mate, if its so obvious, then why is everyone missing the essence of it? I could see them missing some edges and verts here and there and needing a tweak to get it right, but everyone is making them so human mostly aside form the ears that. make sense what i mean now ?

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 30 14-01-2010 , 08:12 PM
The thin red line
Hi legendofzombi
cannot see the wood for the trees, I think I am getting the nose on the right track, there are things like the cheekbone there im getting conflicting referances need to pin something down, you are right he is looking to human.....will keep on trying dave