Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-05-2011 , 03:27 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Starwars the Old republic

I don't know about you guys, but having played Knights of the old republic 1 and 2, I was really anticipating a KOTOR 3, so when they announced an MMO I was and am still disappointed.
I really have tried liking the game they will release somewhere next year, but it just doesn't work for me.
And since I am as you all probably know very strong opinionated or just plain stubborn it could be that I am just a tad judgemental user added image.
That's why I would like to ask you if you like or dislike this game and especially why or why not.

I will start:
I don't like it because :
-1- I played Kotor 1 and 2 and really wanted to play a sequel that came after the events as portrait in 1&2
-2- I don't believe in " story based MMO's, these games are designed to last forever so it never ends and because there are a lot of players, not everyone can save the universe( or better said players won't be main characters)
-3-Graphics suck or feel very outdated ( KOTOR 1 graphics)

# 2 07-05-2011 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
KOTOR 2 sucked - unfinished feeling game which was a rush job and a last desperate hope to recall some of the money invested into it before the doors shut on the studio. And the One piss poor ending was a really kick to the nuts

But KOTOR 1 was one of the greatest games I ever played (played it both on xbox and pc multiply times), but as most of its fans moved on to WOW I think moving the series down the samepath was probably the smartest move. I feel the same way with final fantasy - I will never play the online games and not really feeling the way 12 and 13 went taking out the players chose in the fighting and making it all auto - it was more like a game of pressing x as many times as possible.

At least if the online game fails they call fall back on a number 3 - but with record number of people signing up for the beta I don`t think it will fail. I am afriad you are on your own a little on this one. Could be worse - you could have been waiting for the Jade Empire squeal...

# 3 07-05-2011 , 04:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Could be worse - you could have been waiting for the Jade Empire squeal...

*Sob*

I too have doubts about how a story driven MMO could work but I guess we'll find out.

# 4 07-05-2011 , 06:12 PM
Nah I never played Jade Empire
You're right about KOTOR 2, but that was made by Obsidian and I think ( to the point of knowing) that they had to rush it because Lucasarts were breathing down their neck.
I don't know what this record number of Beta testers is, but I do feel that it is more of an indicator of curiousity and the fact that there is a starwars brand on it.
Once the novelty and dust propelled by the propaganda machine clears up however, I wonder what will remain.
A game like world of warcraft is really generic and accessable, starwars however is something that at least I think is very much a niche.
I mean not everyone likes Starwars and from the people who like starwars only a small portion like ( some of) the games and from that group not everyone likes MMO's.

But this thread is not about me being wrong or right ( or anyone for that matter), just about how you feel about this game based on what you know...

# 5 07-05-2011 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
Obsidian took over over half way though as Bioware famously told LucasArts where their bullying could go - Obsidian had 7 endings planed was told to do just the one and had their developer time cut by 8 months so they could get the game out for Christmas on the Xbox.

As for numbers it was about 1.5 million applied for beta

https://www.vg247.com/2011/03/16/arou...or-swtor-beta/

I do feel your pain - I would love another game like number 1 - but I think its a fight both me and yo would lose even before its started.

You so should check out Jade Empire - If you liked KOTOR 1 you would love it

# 6 08-05-2011 , 04:43 PM
luckily we have fable3 , LA noire, skyrim and Mass Effect 3 ( hopefully more RPG elements) coming out pretty soon, I will let the Kotor series slide

# 7 08-05-2011 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
Fable 3 is already out - ain`t it

# 8 08-05-2011 , 05:29 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I can only assume he's referring to the PC version.
Although apparently that isn't that good.

# 9 29-07-2012 , 05:18 PM
Well here I am a year later;
Mass Effect 3 sucked, Skyrim was fun the first 10-20 hours then my brain went on repeat and haven't looked at it again...effin boring.
I saw a review of a guy called angry joe on fable 3 ..after that I didn't even bother anymore.

On the upside ( if you can call it that) it seems that my guess about starwars the old republic was more or less right, so hopefully somebody at EA, Bioware or maybe even Lucasarts pull their head out of their... you know....and start making kotor 3....on cryengine 3....with assasins creed free roaming.....la noire facial animation...kotor1/ME1 storytelling.......is that an alarmclock I hear?
Lol just ranting, I still find it sad that there is no game on the market that is worth playing, I actually played a game called DC universe online for a couple of days just because I could fly in that game.
They should make a DBZ RPG like that btw, with maybe a fable ( 1, the lost chapters) progression.

Ah well nothing we mere mortals can do about it

# 10 29-07-2012 , 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
The hubby was playing Skyrim for a while but like you, he got bored and quit. I'm hesitant about Mass Effect 3 simply because by the end of ME1 I didn't care enough about the story, same with Assassin's Creed 2, I caught myself rolling my eyes a lot (though I do enjoy the trailers!) and the same thing with Dragon Age, loved the first one, the second one... eehhh.

I agree, there are a lot of shitty games out there, some of them are very pretty *cough* Aion. There are some real gems in the pile though. The last game I truly enjoyed was `Journey` on the PS3, its a well crafted, simple, fun game (its very short but I can understand why).

- Genny
# 11 29-07-2012 , 07:33 PM
Well if you were not taken by the story in Mass Effect 1, I will spare you the braindamage and advise you to most definitely not play the game, it's really a 20+ hour brainfart...I feel really sad for the people working there.

With regards to Skyrim, I fired it up once more when the high ress texture pack came out, killed a dragon, got bored and just quit....I really don't get why people like this game it has a story so flat and transparent a 10 year old could grasp it and when that 10 year old finishes the game he's 35 and realises he wasted 25 years of his life I think Satan developed this game hahaha.

The thing is there were always bad games coming out, but these were recognizeable just by reading the description and in a minority...nowadays a majority.
I mean when I saw Diablo 3 it was mindboggling to me thatthey did the same moronic stuff they did with their previous installments..and people actually bought it
I just saw some ingame footage on youtube for prototype 2 on PC it was actually shamefull what they did with that one, SNES texture quality!!

I have played assasinscreed 1 and 2 ( and only played the intro on AC brotherhood which was a "free"game I got with my new videocard-zotac 580 GTX), 1 had nice graphics, 2 had some nice gameplay elements and absolutly gorgeous graphics, too bad the story wasn't all that compelling ( not really bad just a bit been there done that).

It's my believe that -American-corporate culture is ruining the gaming industry, where there used to be a balance between finance and creativity it's my firm believe that sales/marketing people are calling the shots nowadays and that creative people just do what their told.

# 12 29-07-2012 , 11:34 PM
Ever since I got WoW and Rift out of my system I have had no interest in getting involved with another life sucking MMORPG. As you said they are never ending and in the case of both WoW and Rift if you are not part of an elite raiding guild you are basically there just to feel like a bum and make a bunch of people that have no lives and probably live in moms basement feel godly.

I got sucked into Diablo 3 for a couple weeks and I am almost thankful that game has turned out to be a total FAIL so I can focus on more productive things.

I have not really seen any games that have sparked my interest. I prefer something I can play with for an hour or two and have some fun but I have no interest in the games that seem to turn into a career.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 13 30-07-2012 , 08:24 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
This is why I play mostly bet em ups, Extremely fun to play without worrying about story, graphics and all that. only the game mechanics matter in those type of games. I played assasin creed 1 and 2 and realized I am spending hard earned money to play the exact same game twice. Playing mass effect 3 right now and honestly I'm enjoying it

# 14 30-07-2012 , 09:50 AM
@ctbram: have you tried the thief series ( i only thief 3)their awesome...I hope Eidos isn't f***ing up Thief 4.
I only saw the gameplay footage of diablo3 ...in isometric perspective...wtf? I was done with it I instantly knew this hadn't evolved instead of better graphics same could be said about skyrim tbh...

@murambi:
When you mentioned Beat em up's I remember an instance when I finished Streetfighter 4 on PS3 and thought ..let's get online...where i got beat up by a 2 year old I didn't have time to land a single punch lucky for me I didn't have a completed profile hahaha.

With regards to ME3...I don't want to spoil your fun, but I think you"ll come around on that opinion when spacemagic kicks in...you"ll know what I am talking about.

Oh and make sure you play enough online Multiplayer other wise you don't have enough resources apparently to get a "good" ending...another great addition Bioware (m*r*ns)

I am really annoyed by the fact that games ( and movies for that matter) haven't evolved one bit they getting worse and they get hyped to the point where everytime I see a gamereview where they say "10 out of 10"I stop believing them in an instant and know the game will be crap once player start with it

# 15 30-07-2012 , 12:15 PM
yeah I am hearing you on the game review hype. These game reviewers I am sure are getting some form of kick back from the big companies.

D3 sold something like 7 million copies based on all the hype. actiblizz took over 10 years to make it and in the end it is just horrible!

It's basically pay to win! They have the drop rates on good gear set so low to support the auction house (that actiblizz takes a 15% cut of) that your chances of finding anything usable is about the same as winning the lottery 52 weeks in a row and then getting struck by lightning while being eatin by sharks on the way to pick up your winnings!

The botters are absolutely out of control and running bots is the only way to get gear or gold. They buy 100 copies of the game and then run two games (1 US and 1 EU) per copy 24/7 and make up to 100 million gold an hour. Then they turn around and use that gold to buy everything on the gold ah and then either sell it for real money on the real money ah or repost it for tens or hundreds of millions per piece on the normal gold ah so players are forced to buy their gold to buy gear on the gold ah since it's humanly impossible to grind enough gold as a single player to purchase anything.

If you refuse to pay real money for stuff either using the real money auction house or by having to buy gold to use the gold auction house you are boned. Instead of feeling powerful when you get to level 60 the game makes you feel like a bum trying to buy a lear jet by rummaging through garbage bins collecting cans for the 5 cent deposit.

So that is pretty much my review of Diablo 3 which should more properly be named Auction House Tycoon.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.