Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-05-2011 , 01:09 PM

URGENT Help to decide on how to make a specific scene

user added image
Hi Everyone
I'm a real newie. I'm currently doing a course where I have to create a Maya scene. I am very stressed as I am very new and late starting the modeling and rendering. Life has been really stressful with other things happening and I need to do this. I have attached a rough version of the image scene. It will be eventually turned into a digital hologram.
I would be extremely grateful for any help at all. Please please be gentle with me as I'm still learning the language. I know photoshop and I illustrate books.
Basically, I've been thinking that the midnight sky could be an image plane?
The landscape shapes to resemble a 3d landscape shape horizon .
The moon a nurbs sphere with a textured map on it?
The suspended book a modeled book made through rectangles polygons? Then textured?
The scene within the book modeled 3d and sunk into the surface? Then coloured to look like an illustration?
The girl at the front I want remained flat like a book illustration...but I dont know how...
Please please help...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-05-2011 , 04:41 PM
EduSciVis-er
Is this just going to be an image or an animation? If it's a still image, you could use an image plane for the sky, moon and background landscape. For the book, yes, polygon modelling sounds good. For the interior scene, I would create and render that part separately, and composite it together after in photoshop or after effects, depending on whether it's animated. For the girl, just create flat polygons in the proper shape, so it doesn't have any depth. Hope that gets you in the right direction.